Chapter 2

Jacob strolled into work the next morning in a good mood. That was until he saw Zoe taking off the plaque that said Connie's name on and replaced it with her another persons. "Zoe, what you doing?" He asked confused.
"You don't know do you?" She asked and when he continued to look confused she carried on. "Jacob, Connie's resigned. She's gone. I'm sorry."
He walked away needing time to process the fact that he was probably never going to see the love of his life again. "Jacob..." Zoe was about to protest when Charlie placed his hand gently on her shoulder and said "Leave him, I'll talk to him."

Charlie found Jacob sat outside the ED on the bench staring into space. He tore his eyes away from whatever he was looking at when he saw someone approach him. Charlie passed him a coffee whilst they both exchanged a smile. The smile soon fell from Jacobs face and his gaze fell to the floor. They sat in a comfortable silence until Jacob asked the question he had wanted to ask since Charlie sat down. "Did she tell you?"
"She called me last night. She didn't say why she was leaving though. She said that she was going to tell you before she left. But you know Connie, and she probably just got too scared."
"Yeah." Jacob replied sadly. "Anyway, I best be getting back to work."
"Are you sure that's a good idea?"
"Why not Charlie? It's my job." He replied before leaving Charlie sat alone on the bench.