4

"What made you so sad?"

"I'd rather not-"

"Francis, you have to be honest or I can't help you." He sighed. "I know I seem pushy but this will help."

"I just..." Francis shifted his eyes to the window as to distract himself. "I don't want to scare you away."

"Why would you scare me away?"

"There are many things that many don't know." His eyes shifted to the ground. "There's a reason they're secrets."

"Francis."

"Hm?"

"You think I haven't had dark thoughts? Most of dreams are about literally murdering everyone-"

"There are things far worse than that Alfred." His eyes shifted to Alfred almost sluggishly.

"What?"

"You're young. You've seen nothing." He sighed tiredly. "I know you're going to say that you, but have you really? Have woken up at night screaming because you were remembering the day you were being tortured and ripped apart over and over again? Have you been forced to watch as your people were taken and murdered one by one in the worst inhumane fashion?" Francis looked back to the window. "No, you haven't. You don't have to live with the constant screaming. There's no point in helping me. I can't be helped." Alfred was left stunned. He didn't know what to even think after hearing that. He just didn't expect it.

"I..." He tried for some semblance of words but simply couldn't.

"You said you wanted honesty."

"I know but..."

"Too much? I've barely told you anything." He knew he was being harsh. In fact, he was hating himself with every word he spat out. He didn't mean to be so rude.
Alfred checked his watch.

"Sadly, I have to go but I will be back."

"Alright."

"Bye." He stood up going over to the door. "And Francis."

"Hm?"

"I'm sorry." He left leaving Francis stunned. He had been given one of the many things he wished for.

An apology.