12

He found himself right back at the top looking down on all the people in the city. There was no counting how many times he had been up there or how many different people he had seen through the years just pass by. Maybe it was the age finally getting to him that made him feel like this.

Definitely.

No one should have to watch lives tick by the way he has. One of the oldest out there. There's not many that can understand it. Sure, they all understand war and death but not like Francis has known. Francis has seen plagues and guillotines in use. He's seem men being pulled apart as punishment, innocent people burned alive, blood flooding the streets.

It can't go on like this.

He couldn't go on like this. Seeing people appear and disappear, witnessing the deaths of all, seeing blood of his people shed over some petty misunderstanding. It's all so pointless! His people losing faith in a once great nation.

He could remember the days where he was so innocent, so small. Now he sits on what the most of the world solely knows of him, drinking himself to as far as he can to death.

It's beautiful in the most bitter way. Some days he could swear on seeing the blood appear again on the oldest of streets. God, how he wanted it to go away yet he didn't. He wanted the past to stay. He never liked change. Always thought he was beautiful in a bittersweet way.

Though looking in the mirror has gotten harder. Distorted even. So bad that he can't bare to look anymore. His vision blurring up as to block it all out. He shook as if the coldest winters were coming back to bite him in the ass.

Another swig and out came a sob. Tears  flowing down in rivers.

"I'm sorry." He whispered. "I'm sorry I've failed you all."

~

"Francis!" He saw white. "Francis wake up!" He blinked. His vision slowly clearing to a figure. Another blink.

"Alfred?"

"Oh my god! You scared me!" Was the response.

"What?"

"You drank so much that you lost consciousness and almost fell off the Eiffel Tower!" Alfred looked genuine with concern. It took Francis by surprise. "I thought you died or something."

"I'm fine though."

"But what if you fell?"

"Nothing. I've fallen off before."

"What?" Alfred's voice was sharp but not commanding. More fearful.

"I-"

"Why?"