Excerpt

The cold water brought her back to consciousness in a second. Dread surged through her, icy daggers straight to the heart. The numb abandonedness she'd felt on the island was nothing compared to how she felt now. Now, she was being held underwater, gasping for air but not being able to do a damn thing about it.

She thought that maybe it would be better if she drowned. At least then, the nightmare would be over.

He grabbed her and dipped in again, he had sensed that someone had dove from the cliff; chasing after them.

Moutasim swooped down to the sandy bed as fast as he could, the deeper they swam, the darker it got; the rocks and reef merely a silhouette against a faint light that penetrated in and out. A school of coral fish glided through them, thankfully, the wild marine was nowhere to be seen. Or else, that would have been another addition to the crisis in the moment.

Danger stood timelessly. If they stayed, they were both likely to die out of breath and if they rose up, they were obviously going to be captured as some of those men were now within the proximity, but not yet in sight.

With the increasing pressure, the water got thicker, each second ticking by faster than it should. They had only about a minute to float out and be able to get a burst of air, but as he glanced up, the surface seemed infinitely far away.

Fifty seconds were up.