Chapter Two

Draco could feel the stares at the back of his neck as he stood with his mother on platform 9 3/4. Narcissa looked around the platform while Draco tried not to turn around to see who was staring at him. He could sense it. During the war, his sense had become a lot better than usual.  The stares were burning a hole into his neck and back. It was a feeling that he didn’t like very much.

‘Be good at Hogwarts, Draco. You are Head Boy after all,’ said Narcissa with a hint of pride in her voice. Draco wondered how many people she had boasted to about that fact. He found himself wondering if any of them even cared that he was Head Boy.

‘Yes,  Mother,’ said Draco, looking at her briefly before going back to trying to ignore the stares.

He knew there were a lot of people on the platform staring at him since they had heard he was Head Boy. Draco also knew that not many people thought that was a very good idea, including himself. He was extremely shocked to even be able to apply for the position since he never thought he would have got it. He let out a sigh. Sure, others were staring at him but this feeling was more intense.

Draco couldn't take it any longer so he turned around and connected eyes with the girl he loved. He fell into the deep brown eyes and couldn't look away from them. Hermione’s eyes were staring right back at him. She waved and tried to smile companionably since they would be Head Boy and Girl together. Draco nodded and felt weak and helpless just because of a simple wave.

Draco couldn’t believe he felt this way just because she waved at him. He loved her so much he couldn’t grip onto his feelings. They seemed to slide out of his grip for everyone to see. He might as well declare his undying love right now on this platform and hope that he just die of embarrassment since Hermione would never return the feelings.

How could the Slytherin prince be in love with the Gryffindor princess?

After all those years of mocking her and annoying her, Draco felt nothing towards her and now he couldn't take his eyes off of her. He stared at her noticing each and every movement she made. When Mrs Weasley talked to her, she would turn around and slightly raise her eyebrows in a gesture of respect and intent listening. She wrung her hands together and kept them at her stomach as Ron kissed her and Draco gritted his teeth. Her chin pointed out slightly making her jaw look fuller. Her eyes lined with eyeliner making them look wider and beautiful. Her lips were a maroon shade and she was wearing a red shirt and jeans.

 Simple but she stood out to Draco in the largest of crowds.

---

Hermione’s POV 

Draco abruptly turned around to face her almost as if someone had called his name. Hermione and Draco stared at one another: brown eyes on the grey, grey eyes on the brown. After a few seconds, Draco's eyes widened as though he had just made a discovery. It was a rather comical sight and Hermione tried to smile, lifting one hand up hesitantly and waving at him. There was no reason to not be civil. He wasn’t exactly giving her dirty looks. Draco nodded, still staring at her and Hermione sighed.

Would he be the same as before? Would he call her a mudblood? She didn’t know but she felt her stomach twist at the thought of sharing a cabin with him. What if it was awkward? It would most definitely be awkward.

‘Hermione, dear, let one of the boys take your trunk,’ Mrs Weasley insisted, one hand on the handle of Hermione's trunk, ‘you don’t need to do the had work!’

Hermione turned her head quickly, afraid that Ron would catch her staring at Draco. She didn’t know why but Ron didn’t like her looking at other boys. He was always jealous and she didn’t appreciate that. Did he think she would be unfaithful? She had never been unfaithful.