Chapter Twenty Three

‘It's all my fault Draco's gone.’ Hermione stated, trying to stop the tears that had been falling non stop since the morning.

‘What do you mean he's gone?’ Narcissa frowned and advanced on Hermione, walking in the room, her eyes filled with motherly love for Draco.

‘I'm sorry, he just... left.’ Hermione said, tears streaming down her face.

Everyone watched as Narcissa and Hermione stood face to face. They were in Ron, Harry and Draco's room. Some were standing, some sitting, some were pacing thoughtfully.

‘You get him back. Right now.’ Narcissa frowned harder at her, ‘you two are getting married soon and you let him just go?’

‘But... Narcissa, I don't know where...’ Hermione trailed off.

‘Don't call me Narcissa! ‘It's because of you he's gone. My only son! And I don't know where he is!’

‘I'm sorry.’ Hermione whispered.

‘Sorry won't bring him back!’ Narcissa shouted, feeling overly protective of her son since she had lost her husband. Draco was the only family she had and cared about.

‘Nar- Mrs Malfoy, I'm sorry but,’ Hermione stopped before her eyes lit up, ‘Draco was telling me about a house you bought? And he said we could go there on our honeymoon. Would you take me there?’

‘I knew this would happen.’

Hermione was surprised and annoyed to hear Percy speak up from one corner of the room. He hadn’t said a word to her this whole time. Ignoring him entirely, Hermione looked at Narcissa.

Narcissa narrowed her eyes, having not heard Percy or just not caring about what he had to say, and Hermione held her breath. The atmosphere weighed heavily in them as everyone gave wary glances towards them.

‘I'll come too.’ Ron mumbled, ‘It's more my fault than yours.’

‘Fine, I'll take you both.’ Narcissa said, holding out a hand to each of them, ‘only because I need Draco to come back and not be alone. He deserves to be happy.’

Hermione and Ron took Narcissa's hand and they apparated. Hermione closed her eyes as the ringing in her ears grew louder.

‘It's just up there. It's a house on its own, no neighbours. Bring him back.’ Narcissa said, glaring at Hermione before disapparating.

Hermione stared at the spot she had vacated and wondered if Narcissa thought Draco wouldn’t listen to his own mother. Maybe she thought he would listen to Hermione. Ron gently touched her arm and she flinched away. She looked around and walked down the street. They walked in silence. The houses stopped appearing but they walked on until they came to some bushes and a gate. Hermione gently opened the gate.

‘Wait... What if he's not here?’ Ron asked, standing back.

Hermione briefly looked at him before opening the door. It was locked.

‘Alohomora.’ Hermione whispered.

She opened the door and stepped in. The house was beautifully decorated and spacious, even though it was only one floor. She passed the empty kitchen and living room. At the back of the house were two bedrooms. She quietly opened one and her heart leapt as she saw Draco.

He was lying on the bed, his eyed closed and his eyebrows knitted together, like he was thinking hard. One muscular arm rested behind his head.

Hermione walked in silently and Ron stayed at the door. She came beside Draco and gently smoothed his eyebrows out. His eyes opened suddenly, jumping in surprise.

‘You don't look good frowning.’ Hermione whispered, leaning in to kiss him.

‘Don't,’ Draco muttered, pushing her gently, ‘what are you doing here?

‘Please don't do this, Draco.’ Hermione whispered, tracing lines on his chest, ‘I love you...’

‘No you don't... You love him.’ Draco glared at Ron by the door.

Pushing her hands away he sat up, glaring at Hermione.

‘I don't love him. Please, Draco, we're meant to get married and then come here for our honeymoon and...’ Hermione whispered, moving closer, ‘And then you know...’

Hermione kissed his cheek. Ron walked in the room, slightly embarrassed.

‘Listen, mate. I love her but I know she loves you more. All I want is for her to be happy. What'll make her happy is if you marry her.’ Ron said, rushing a hand through his red hair.

Draco glared at him, his eyes seemed to darken.

‘Fine. I get it. You won't forgive me. I didn't expect you to. I'll see when I see you. Bye.’ Ron said and disapparated.

Hermione sat on the bed beside Draco, pulling her knees up she wrapped her arms around them.

‘Do you hate me?’ Hermione asked.

‘No.’ Draco answered.

‘Do you love me?’ Hermione asked.

Draco didn't answer. His eyes stayed on the bed covers.

‘I get it. Well... Is that it? Are we over? The wedding is off?’ Hermione asked, resting her was on her knees.

‘Marry Ron. He's better for you.’ Draco mumbled.

‘You know what? I bought a dress for our wedding. It wasn't all white. It was green and white because I know you love me in green.’ Hermione said, looking at him, ‘Now I'll have to burn and cut that dress into a thousand pieces. I won't marry Ron. I won't marry anyone except you.’

Hermione sat in front of Draco, taking his face in her hands. She kissed Draco on his lips.

‘Hermione, just stop it!’ Draco shouted, pushing her off of him, ‘we’re over!'

He went to stand beside the door, opening it. Hermione narrowed her eyes. Anger bubbling and boiling in her veins. She only felt a little upset. Just a little.

She got up, passing him and went out of the door. Draco slammed the door shut and Hermione let the tears run down her face. Instead of anger she felt realisation that it really was over.

She walked outside, the sun beat down on her. She walked to the beach, lying on the sand. The beach was deserted. Her head spun. She closed her eyes and felt drowsiness take over.