Our Worst Nightmares Revisited

Sam fought off the fat, blood thirsty Shelob valiantly.

His only weapons being the letter-opener-sized Sting and the Phial of Galadriel.

He was losing, for his mind wasn't clear. His heart was heavy with words that Frodo had hurt him with.

The creature Gollum, lay, half-dead, at the bottom of the great crevice. The only thing keeping him alive was his thirst for the Ring.

Amazingly, Gollum got back up again. It seemed as if he was a creature scraping his way up from Hell.

Sam fought greatly but he was too late and Frodo was incapacitated.

The City of the Dead was still calling for the poor hobbit Frodo and the deadly venom of Shelob was coursing through his veins.

Sam sobbed as the Orcs carried off his master, cursing himself and apologizing to his friend and to Lessien, who was far away and would never see him again.

-

Legolas lay, his arms folded over his chest, staring at the ceiling. He could not even try to meditate. He was thinking again. He felt foolish for doing this to himself, for thinking about her.

He didn't understand why he still thought of her and the flowers in her hair. Her shining charisma. Her stubborn, proud personality. Her laugh. Her sad smile. Her independence that sometimes was on the brink of annoying. And most of all, her voice. Talking to her.

It was so stupid of him to think he was still in love. He couldn't be. Not with her,  after what she had done. It didn't matter why she had done it even, he didn't care.

Why should he care if she obviously didn't care about him? Why couldn't he just stop thinking about her and replaying over and over and over again in his mind when she had kissed Lord Terrance in front of him? And when Terrance and Lessien had danced so seductively together?

Without a care in the world, she had done these things. And then she had drunk herself into chaos that night, acting as if the mistake she had made hurt her more than him. But it didn't, there was no way she could still care after doing something so hurtful to him.

After what he had done tonight to her, there was no way she could be in love with him.

He had broken her heart so bad when he wouldn't forgive her that she had drunk herself into chaos again tonight so she could forget him for awhile.

Then he lay a hand on her. He had scared her and she had drank more to forget what he had done to her.

She had given him up. That was the only thing that had been clear since that night when she had kissed him. He was heartbroken.

It was petty, really but it hurt worse than any battle wound he had endured. He didn't like feeling the emotions so he went back into his soldier mode. All he cared about was the cause of Good.

There was nothing to feel in his mind. There were no emotions.

Everything has its faults, though, so tonight the soldier mode wore off. It left him where he was now, sitting here trying to solve the puzzle that was his heart.

Making a mess of love or, rather, what he thought had been love. He was so tired of trying to figure it out that his heart was stumbling and his eyes were worn.

She was crying again, laying right beside Legolas. She still looked beautiful, her hair ruffled from an evidently restless sleep. The muttering and whimpering escalated before his eyes. He watched as she began sobbing.