The Last Debate

Lessien accompanied Legolas on the long walk back to Minas Tirith.

It was a wonder that they could both remain silent for so long.

Despite that being said, there was this unaddressed tension between the two. On Lessien's side, at least, there was an intense longing. She was unaware that Legolas felt the same way.

"Are you alright?" asked Legolas, which was the first syllables that provoked a conversation.

Lessien turned her head and looked at Legolas's face quickly, cautiously, and then smiled minutely before nodding. "Yes, I'm alright," she assured him. Once again, she was made aware of her blackened hand. She held it close to herself now.

Legolas hesitated as he glanced at her poisoned limb. "Is it bad?"

Lessien grimaced. "It's doing well enough."

With that, Legolas fell silent.

"The fight is not over, if that's what you're thinking," Lessien decided.

"I know."

"I'm still going to die."

"That's what you believe."

"That's what I know," Lessien finished sternly.

"You've survived battles like this for half a century," Legolas pointed out.

"This is different, you know that."

Legolas sighed. "I do not wish to fight with you anymore."

Lessien looked again at Legolas, pausing to put her hand on his shoulder. The movement wasn't just an expression of comradery. The touch was the most physical affection she had been able to express towards him for the longest time.

"Then don't," she said softly.

They began walking again.

"You know," Lessien began but she hesitated. "You have made things pretty difficult for me."

Legolas was silent.

"Oh, no. Not in a bad way at all," Lessien assured him. "Listen, Legolas. I have no feelings towards you. Well, no negative feelings. I've been pushing you away for a reason, you know. I've always, ah, held you in high regard.

"It has been easy to let go of my father because I know his side. I have lived my life with him and he has a future with Arwen, fathering new children. I would be an outcast among them. I don't mean to say my father doesn't want me, I'm just saying he wouldn't die without me.

"The hobbits have their home and their families.

"But you, you're different." Lessien wet her dry lips. "I have a different kind of affection towards you. It's something rare that I don't think I've ever truly experienced. In short, it's hard for me to leave you of all people."

Legolas didn't say anything in reply.

"It's silly, I know. I haven't been able to talk to you about it at all because I just thought it was pointless. Now you know, though, I guess."

I love you, Lessien thought to herself.

Legolas barely looked her way before saying roughly, "I'm not going to let you die."

-

"Frodo has passed beyond my sight. The darkness is deepening," Gandalf announced.

A few important characters stood around the throne room.

There was Eomer, who now led Rohan's forces after his uncle Theoden's recent death that took place on the battlefield. The rest were the remains of the broken up Fellowship. That meant Legolas, Gimli, Lessien, and Aragorn.