Someone Had to Die

Lessen slowly tore her eyes away from the nightmarish scene of her father engaged in combat with the looming battle troll. He was alone in that fight.

Legolas slashed at orc after orc, making his way to his friend.

Even so, Lessien witnessed Aragorn being crushed under the monster's foot.

Tears burned in her eyes. Her split second reaction was to join him, but although Aragorn was her blood and a great leader, there would be no man to lead if she sacrificed herself now.

Besides, Lessien had faith in her father.

It was then that she realized the Nazgul were fleeing. Were the eagles really that big of a threat?

No, they weren't.

Lessien realized they weren't fleeing, they were pursuing something. And they were heading straight to Mount Doom, where Lessien knew her hobbit friends were. It was where the fate of Middle Earth was to be determined.

The Great Eye now peered down, the immense power of the Ring drawing Sauron's attention.

The diversion that the remaining armies of men had tried to scrounge up was no longer effective in the way they hoped to be. They were hardly anything against Sauron and his forces.

There was hope still. In Lessien. But not if Frodo was unable to carry out the quest he was so given.

Never before had she felt such desperation. It filled her up and scratched her throat. It made her eyes tear up. There was only so much she could do.

Then, she felt it.

It felt like a wave that shook all of Middle Earth. It was indescribable. No words that she could muster would ever explain the heavy sensation she felt then. What followed carried even more weight.

The Ring had been destroyed.

It was time.

Lessien snapped back to reality, where she was fighting against a single orc. Just a single orc. It used its wicked blade and slashed forward, cutting her straight across the stomach. It wasn't deep enough to kill her but it was still deep.

Everything slowed. She pressed her hand to her stomach, where blood was rapidly pouring out of her. She mustered her last strength and swung her sword on an oncoming beast, chopping its head clean off.

Then, she grabbed fistfuls and fistfuls of the dark masses that hung around her. She grabbed the orcs' minds and she pulled them into her Dreamworld. It strained her to do this.

It took everything inside of Lessien but it was her final act as a warrior. She was not weak.

In her Dreamworld, the entire army now was there. It took Lessien a moment to really understand that she had successfully brought them all inside. All of them were there, howling and screaming, letting off their ominous orc cries.

It was already mind boggling to witness in person the numbers Sauron had behind his force. It was in her mind now that she held all of them. She wondered if it reached a million because there was no doubt there were hundreds of thousands.

And with those little thoughts in her mind she set her precious Dreamworld on fire. She watched it go up in flames and watched the flames consume her enemies.

She heard their howls and cries and screeches.

It looked like a vast ocean of flames before her eyes. It was a sea of chaos that drowned her enemies and sent them to hell. She felt the heat of the intense fire and the sweat droplets blossoming on her calloused skin. The heat didn't last long.