A Lock of Golden Hair

A week earlier.

"Cheer up there, elfling!" growled Gimli, clapping his friend on the back. "It's been days since your little lass has left! I'm sure you two lovebirds will be reunited soon enough. Wrapped in each others eternal embrace, I'm sure you two will-" the dwarf dropped off lamely.

Legolas hadn't reacted to any of Gimli's jabs. For the past few days, he had been completely shut off.  He constantly seemed agitated and when he spoke, it was abrupt and clipped.

"Look, Legolas. You've hardly spoke for the past few days. And I know you cared for her, despite the things she did." Gimli spoke referencing Lessien's brief rendezvous with a certain Lord Terrance. 

"She didn't do anything wrong," cut in Legolas, suddenly defensive of her.

"Fair enough, but Legolas, something is obviously wrong with you! It is not like you will never see her again. Soon, we are to travel to Gondor. I am sure at this very moment she is reasoning with that madman of a steward that presides over Gondor. You will see her when we arrive there," Gimli comforted.

Currently, the two were eating in the Dining Hall, still staying at Theoden's fortress. Or rather, Gimli was eating while Legolas kept him company.

Legolas swallowed and stood up, sudden guilt pressing down on him. "I'm going out," he stated.

As Legolas began to exit the Dining Hall, Aragorn entered. "Ah! Legolas, how are you?"

"Fine," Legolas answered simply.

"Where are you going?"

"Out!" he barked in reply.

Aragorn exchanged an anxious look with Gimli.

-

Legolas was riding around on Arod, the horse given to him by Gandalf, trying to catch some air to clear his head.

Lately, he could never seem to get enough air. He just had to keep gasping to breathe.

Breathing hurt. It made him have to feel his heart as his chest rose and fell and he did not want to feel his heart because it was shriveled up and bleeding.

She would not be gone if it had not been for him.

He should be able to help her, to protect her.

"But she's just so stubborn," he whispered out loud. Legolas shook his head, utter anguish pounding behind his eyes. It was there, that anguish, ever since he had seen her kiss that Terrance fellow.

The anguish took his love away. He felt like he was watching everything happen from a distance. And he could do absolutely nothing to intervene.

By the time you read this, I will be long gone, her words echoed in his head.

Legolas notched an arrow.

In the simplest summary, all I can tell you is that the Eye is fixed on me.

He drew back the string of his bow, staying tense and ready. There was no immediate threat and no sense of hostility about but Legolas drew back anyways, not knowing why.

Through you, he wishes to get to me.

Legolas pinpointed his target, a little desert sparrow, the anguish still pounding with an ever relentless migraine in his head.

I will never see you again. Please, love again. Not just love for another lady but remember and cherish the life of the stars. Find the beauty in everything, as you could so long ago.