First meeting with a griever

Part 2

NEWT'S POV

I fall on my side, my ankle burning.
I watch y/n, her faces growing deathly pale compared to her top that's stained with an ever growing patch of blood.
It's all my fault.
My vision is cut of by people's legs surrounding me and her, I see Jeff inject the serum into her arm and watch helplessly as the gladers carry her away.
I roll on to my back, gritting my teeth, my ankle hurts so much.

Gally pulls me into a sitting position, "let's get you to the medjacks."

He helps me stand, taking the pressure off my ankle. I can see the other gladers carrying y/n and that's when it all begins, she lets out a long scream as the serum takes effect on her precious body.

*

ALBY'S POV

I pick at the bark on the log I sit on, a couple other gladers sit with me, including Newt and Minho.
There's another high pitched scream from the homestead, it's been three days of her screaming, all day and all night. Looking around I notice the big, black bags under everyones eyes from no sleep, I guess I look just as bad. A few including myself have red, swollen eyes from crying.
Newt sits opposite me, he buries his face in his hands and starts to sob, again. His leg is laid out on the grass, a big bandage covers his ankle, it will heal fine, its just a sprain but we won't it to heal perfectly so maybe we can encourage him to go in the maze again, he is one of the best runners we have..... So was y/n.
None of us have the courage to comfort him, as we all know it wouldn't do any help, we would just cry with him.

"I should have stopped her ..." Newt wails.

"I shouldn't  have got her the job." Minho mumbles, next to me.

"I shouldn't have agreed." I say.

This has been our conversation since y/n and Newt returned from the maze.
Gally jogs over, he doesn't look any better than us.

"Dinner, guys dinner is ready." He says it sorrowfully.

I nod and he walks off, a couple of gladers follow him, leaving me with Newt and Minho. We all know why Gally is so upset, dinner signals off another day of y/n stuck in the changing and with each day she has less chance of pulling through.
I help Newt to his feet and hand him a crutch and we head off to dinner.

*

NEWT'S POV

I sit the homestead, Y/n had stopped screaming after five days of the changing, the worst five days of my life — that I can remember —but I still bet nothing could be possibly worse than those five days or will be worse.
I move a loose strand of her hair off her face, no one knows why but y/n hasn't woken up yet and it's been two days since she stopped screaming.
Minho, Alby, Jeff, Clint even Gally stands in the room around her bed.
Jeff says he and Clint have news on y/n's condition.

"Ok, so I have good news and bad." He says delicately as if any word could set off a bomb.

I gulp, good news was hope, but bad news made my heart stop.

"The good news is that y/n is out of the changing and her wound is completely  healed over but the bad news.." He pauses.

I hold her hand in mine.

"The bad news is that, we believe... Um, well we hope we are wrong."

"Just spill the beans." Minho says from behind me.

"We think y/n is dying."

I freeze, tears run down my checks, I don't know what to say. I look at her, she looks too beautiful and peaceful to be dying. I squeeze her hand.

"We don't think she will make it to the end of the month."

So soon, I let out a cry and start shouting, "it's all my fault, it's my fault, she's dead, it's my...." I trail off, the tears choke me, I wish they would drown me.

Alby puts an arm around me, pulling me away from her. He pulls me into a hug.

"It's not your fault, it's mine, you only tried to protect her." Alby begins to cry as well.

"It's mine, I shouldn't have encouraged her, I should have left her save in the glade, I should have refused to let her be a runner, I...." Minho sobs.

We all sit there crying for what seemed like years but was only hours. None of us could understand the fact that she is going to die, we only talk about ways we could have stopped this from happening but it's too late, too late to do anything but watch her slowly die.

After dinner and our group mourning, I head to the homestead. I glimpse at her body, she is so peaceful, so perfect, she looks like she is asleep and could wake up at any moment and tell us it was all a joke but she can't and now I have to watch her slowly die each day.
I slowly step in and sit in the chair, I don't want to wake her. I entwine my fingers in hers and rest my head on her arm. Tears encourage me into sleep.