Trickery [AU]

You shuffle your feet kicking at the loose dirt eager to get going. It's your first mission as part of Sam's team and you hate to admit it your nervous.
Newt stands next to you, in his hand he holds a machete he was given while you hold onto a wooden bow with a full quiver slung over your shoulder and a long sharp knife tied on your waist by a broken belt.
Sam marches along the line of teenagers, he looks so official dressed in the black clothes everyone is garbed in, a sword strapped to his hip, another one secured to his back and in the inside of his coat is a small hand gun.

"Our mission is simple, we are to retrieve as many weapons as possible from a large factory barn." Sam says cutting you from your thoughts, he raises a finger.
"But the area isn't clear of cranks, we are highly likely to run into some, so when we do remember your training and follow all instructions." He pauses in front of Newt, they both eye each other up. Sam walks on as he continues.
"And just don't die."

"Great we're all inspired." Newt mutters to you.

You step away from him to get a better view of his face. "Newt, you say great we're all bloody inspired."

"Oh bloody hell y/n, do i have to say the same bungin' thing every time?"

You shake your head and step back into line. Sam gives the signal to move out and the whole team gets into position walking off to this crank filled area.

You walk with Newt pondering over every unusual event that has happened over the past week, you try to fix the pieces together hoping to see a bigger picture but something won't let you, like a part of you already knows the answer but you don't want it to be true.
Newt is grumpy the whole way, he's been this way since you arrived and it really bugs you. You try to get a conversation prodding him for more than one word answers though none come, in the glade he would talk to you hours upon end, only with meeting Sam has he been blanking you. 
Sam holds up his fist and everyone freezes, around the corner is the factory barn.

"Search the outside, look for ways in but do not go inside." With Newt and Sam you search the outside of the building, it's in good condition with no holes or gaps to get through.

A tall girl very top heavy runs up to Sam. "There's only one entrance, a really small hole in the roof, sir."

"Thanks, show us the way please." Sam is so different when around these people, he becomes more official and serious to the friend who likes to mess about taking nothing for real. That's the boy you've started to like and this whole serious professional act makes you act different towards him.

The girl leads you to the hole in the black tiled roof, the girl didn't lie, the hole is really small revealing a pitch black darkness below.

Newt picks up loosing his grumpy act. "What's down there?"

Sam pulls his coat higher around his neck. "Hopefully large boxes of weapons ... I guess some well past gone cranks." On cue there is a faint wailing noise, everyone steps away from the hole their eyes glued to the hole of death.

"I will go down with a couple of guys who can fit, we'll get the stuff... With the least amount of death." Sam says. "Get this hole larger."

People pull away the tiles and quietly hack at the wood below, they manage to double the size of the hole before hitting a metal rail that runs around the gap.
The hole isn't big enough to fit nearly as many of the people Sam hoped to take down with him. Sam shines a torch into the black abyss, you can just make out the wooden floor boards below luckily there is no movement that suggests cranks.