15; one dance

CHAPTER FIFTEEN

CHAPTER FIFTEEN.

Dust had collected on the books flying up into the air as she trailed her fingers along the spines of the books. Spider webs hung loosely from the dirty shelves as the dull lamps flickered ahead of her. The ground was clean except for a few specks of dirt trodden in from the students shoes or the occasionally scrap of torn paper. Outside the sun was about to set and the window was ajar letting the sounds of the night into the room; the hoot of owls and howl of the wind joining in with the rustling of paper and the humming conversations of the students.

The books were neat, colour coded and in rows, all courtesy of Madam Pomfrey. Each and every section was ordered and undoubtedly had spells on them yet the wrong books were every were. This was probably a contributing factor to why Madam Pomfrey's air was so grey, Hogwarts did have the notorious pranksters Fred and George.

Cedric and Avena had been there for what felt like hours, the third and final task was the next day and Cedric had insisted that they spend some time cramming before they went to dinner with his father. Avena had seen his parents was or twice around the ministry of magic but never actually spoken to either. Her parents were far higher up the rankings then a measly Worker for the Department of Regulation and Control of magical creatures. No, not measly, she corrected herself. That job was just as important as her fathers or mothers. The Ministry of Magic was like clockwork through a clog in one department and the rest fell apart.

"How in merlins name am I supposed to prepare for this task?" Cedric huffed sliding down the wall with a dejected sigh, "I've been cramming every spell in this entire library into my brain and it's practically falling out of my ears!"

"Maybe..." Avena placed the dog eared book she'd been flipping through back on the shelf, "You should enjoy your last night before the task," she sat down next to him hugging him with her left arm. "After all you can't do much more than this and you're Dad's coming to the Great Hall to eat dinner with you,"

"I guess," Cedric murmured looking up at her with a toothy grin (even in the dark and gloomy light her flush evident).

"Anyway," She perked up, "I think you'll do great and after woods we can all have ice cream and celebrate your tremendous win," she nudged him in the side and he shook his head letting out laugh.

"You're right, I shouldn't worry about this... I mean it's safe, I'm a good wizard and I know you'll be there to support me,

"Exactly," Avena said leaning forward to kiss his cheek. He knew what she was doing and turned his head catching the kiss. She giggled pushing him away slightly as he smirked triumphantly. She stood up running her hands down the school skirt trying to get the dust off it before helping him pull himself up. Then she dug into her pocket taking out a small silver little pin with the Detroit code of arms on it.

"I know my family isn't the most respectable and even I don't like them but I think I'm okay and well I thought this might give you some luck," She dropped the small pin from her own delicate fingers into his palm, it glittering in the small rays of light.

"Thanks Ave," he smiled looking down at the pin fondly, "I really do love you, you know that right?"

She could only smile in response extending her hand delicately the rings flashing, "Walk with me,"

He nodded taking her hand and giving it a squeeze. They still had an hour or so to waste before the dinner commenced so they took an extended walk across the school grounds. They didn't really talk as they were enjoying each others company. That was something that Avena liked about their relationship, it wasn't always full of mindless chatter.

The sun had set now and the grounds were bathed in moonlight. It cast a silver light on top of anyone, it caused Avena to look angelic and Cedric often found himself casting a glance over to her, his breathe stuck in his throat. His hand was warm as they interlocked with hers, something they had both become so very used too. They fitted so perfectly it was like they were made for one another. But that's what Avena and Cedric were perfect for one another. They helped each other's flaws, were at ease, were so in love.

To be honest they were the kind of couple that Avena usually made fun off.

The cold wind whipped around then flaring her skirt out around them causing Cedric to spin her around and laugh, the sound flowing with the wind. She shook her head, a dimple appearing as he spun her around again his laughter growing louder. It was like a scene from a sappy romance novel that the muggle borns were always talking about in the bathroom stalls.

"Come on Ave," he called out spinning around the sour faced girl once more, "Dance with me just once.... Please?"

So she did.

NOTE:

so I'm like updating pretty darn frequently cause I want to finish before my school work gets to hectic. I think it'll only have like another two or so chapters after this...