16; the final task

CHAPTER SIXTEEN

CHAPTER SIXTEEN.

Today was the day, the final task was about to occur. Avena sat bundled up in his Hufflepuff scarf inside of Cedric's tent. His Mother was dotting over him constantly hugging him. His parents were so proud of him, constantly reminding him that they believed in him. The type of things parents were supposed to do.

She sipped her tea smiling awkwardly at Mr. Diggory who was sitting next to her, the look of proud disbelief on his face radiating. She wasn't entirely sure that Mr. Diggory liked her, considering her parent's reputation in the Wizarding World and hers, be it may quite a bit better now, in the school.

"You'll be fine Ced," she smiled warmly at him and he looked over at her nodding nervously. The silver pin she'd given him the previous day glinted on his chest in the light, it stood out and it made Avena smile knowing he liked it.

"I will," Cedric let out a breath tossing his hands up in the air and shrugging, "I mean it's like only a maze right?"

"Yeah," Avena stood up and walked over to him in three graceful steps and placed a hand on his shoulder, "It'll be fine Ced and remember we're rooting for you,"

He turned to face her pulling her into a warm hug. It was the type of hug were they melted into each other and as they closed their eyes everything seemed to stop. The room was silent as they stood there hugging and she felt safe, so unbelievably safe. She was on a high that nothing could bring her down from, all her worries were gone and it was she was in a dream. Like she'd lost track of where her body stopped and his began.

"You'll be fine," she whispered tracing circles on his back, "And I'll be waiting for you on the other side,"

Ludovic Bagman, the head of Magical Games and Sports in the ministry stood boldly in front of the crowd his wand pointed to his throat muttering the spell 'Sonorus,'. Avena sat next to the Diggory's her hands clasp together as she nodded at Cedric who was standing next to Harry. Then Bagman spoke and his magically magnified voice boomed beyond the stands,

"Ladies and gentlemen, the third and final task of the Triwizard Tournament is about to begin! Let me remind you how the points currently stand! Tied in first place, with eighty-five points each -Mr. Cedric Diggory and Mr. Harry Potter, both of Hogwarts School!"

At this Avena and the Hogwarts students cheered loudly, their applause echoing through the stands. Flags and scarfs were thrown into the air and the grounds shook as they jumped and stomped. The loud commotion sent birds flying out of the Forbidden Forest.

"In second place, with eighty points - Mr. Viktor Krum, of Durmstrang Institute!"

More applause ensued, a mixture of Durmstrang students and avid fans.

"And in third place - Miss Fleur Delacour, of Beauxbatons Academy!" A dainty yet just as loud cheer went through the crowd (complete with wolf whistles). Fleur smiled raising a hand to the crowd flipping her blonde hair back.

"So . . . on my whistle, Harry and Cedric!" said Bagman. "Three - two - one -"He gave a short blast on his whistle, and Harry and Cedric hurried forward into the maze both at equal speed. Avena leant forward and as Cedric turned and sent her a quick smile her heart jumped. Then he was gone into the towering hedges that were shrouded in darkness.

"And now Viktor!" Bagman shouted out but Avena no longer cared. She slumped down in her chair sending a reassuring glance towards Cedric's mother as she told herself he would be completely fine.

It had been three long hours and asides from the jet of red stars that Fleur Delacour had sent out for assistance nothing had happened. She'd been helped out and then thirty minutes after that a stunned and confused Victor Krum had stumbled out. That meant that the final competitors were Cedric and Harry. Everyone was staring at the gap in the edges for a sign of life with baited breath.

Somewhere along the line Amos Diggory had taken her hand and gripped it tightly along with his wife's. Her own palms were sweaty as a pit of worry grew in her stomach. Was it her or was this taking for too long. Her mouth was dry and her breathe was caught in her throat. More than likely she was just overthinking, worrying about the boy she loved so much.

She squirmed chewing her lip as she cast a look over at the teachers. She caught eyes with Mad Eye Moody who tilted his head at her sending her a creepy smile. She shook her head turning away and trying and tapping her knee.

There was a flash of light and someone appeared in front of them. There was a murmur as everyone squinted in the darkness. The glowing cup glistened in the darkness sending a blue light on the two boys laying in grass. Harry Potters dark hair was the first thing that caught her eye as she scrambled out of her seat. He had Cedric cradled in his arms mumbling something. Dumbledore was first there and as Avena climbed over the rail against Madam Pomfrey's best efforts to stop her she knew something was wrong.

Very Wrong.

"Cedric!" She called out clambering towards him both his parents stumbling after her. She stopped suddenly catching sight of his bruised and battered face and his closed eyes her hands flying to her mouth. "Ced," she whispered falling to the ground and tugging him out of Potter's hands checking his cold hands for a pulse. Yet there was none, she shook him trying to get some reaction but he lay still.

And then a single voice echoed through the empty arena confirming her worst fear. Harry Potter was sobbing, the tears falling down his dirty smeared face, "He's dead.... He's dead!"

NOTE:

I'm SORRY OKAY?