023

Please read the author's note at the end (important info about this book and Bite) and I hope you enjoy this chapter because it's the last one (if you don't count the bonus ones).

Alec walked towards his parents alone. It had took some convincing to get Axel to wait for him and let him go alone. He was reluctant about it but Alec had manage to convince him. Alec sighed seeing the angered look on his mothers face. It was never his intention to disappoint her but Alec - for once - wanted to do something for himself. To be selfish for once.

"Have you spoken with Lydia? No one's seen her since the wedding." Alec asked. Tension filled the room. Maryse ignored her son and kept her silence. She continued her work as if nobody had spoken to her. Alec sighed saying, "Mom, come on."

"Maryse." Robert said as a warning. He had walked in, seeing the look on both of their faces. He was still trying to understand this but he wouldn't let his relationship with Alec be destroyed.

"Mom, I understand you're upset, but this is-" Alec started, trying to tell her that this was ridiculous but his mother cut him off.

"Calling off the wedding would've been one thing but kissing that demon - the one that killed most of our kind and many others - in front of the entire Institute? You've embarrassed all of us." Maryse told him, looking away to not see the disgrace she raised.

"Why? Because he's a guy?" Alec shot at her, his fist clenched at his side.

"No. The fact that he is a guy, as you say, is the least of my worries." She muttered, finally looking into his eyes.

"Then what's the problem?"

"That you chose Axel Knight. Alec, his reputation precedes him. He's a killing machine. He killed so many of us and you push that fact away, thinking that he will change for you. Alec, I have seen Axel on the battlefield and he's a monster. He had a careless look the whole time and he didn't give a damn about who he was killing. Alec, Axel will never change for you. He'll always be a monster and you can't change that."

"Well, then I plan on trying." He retorted, not believing everything she said. Some part must have been true but he knew that everyone was capable of changing including Axel. "And if you have a problem with that, then I suggest you deal with it."

Both parents stayed silent at his words. Maryse sighed, knowing she won't be able to change his mind. "Lydia's probably packing for Idris in your father's office. What she did-"

"Saved my life so I should go thank her." Alec cut it before leaving to go get the awaiting Axel.

•••

"On a scale of one to ten how horrible was it?" Axel asked when Alec reached him. He was sulking the whole time he was gone and waited patiently- which was a first - for Alec to come back. Axel pulled him close to him. Alec's eyes flickered to his lips and let them linger there for a few moments.

"Off the charts. I've never seen them so angry." Alec whispered since there was no need to talk loudly. They were close enough to hear each other's breathing.

"Just give them some time." Axel advised, licking his lips in anticipation.

"You're immortal. You can't die so time is on your side."