Chapter Nine

After washing in the steamy bathing chamber in the basement of the inn, Sarn and Meyer found Gibb in the dining hall, which occupied most of the first floor. There were two fireplaces set against the northern wall, their red embers complementing the glow stones which cast a soft light over the rest of the room. The smell of garlic and poultry wafted through the air, and in the corner, a table laden with platters of food stood adjacent to four wooden kegs. Still, the most inviting provision was the long table at the room's center, surrounded by a haphazard scattering of travelers. At the one end of the table, several men sat together bumping elbows, while further down, a few travelers dined alone, isolated on either side by vacant stools. Regardless of the company, everyone was eating from plates piled high with meat, cheese, and bread, and drinking from large metal mugs. No one paid attention to the two Men and one Halfling standing in the doorway.

"Perfect timing," said Gibb. "I was just about to load up a plate."

"I need you to bring the packs up to our room first," said Sarn.

The Halfling's shoulders slumped. "I can almost taste my first real meal in weeks and you delay my gratification!"

Sarn raised an eyebrow.

"Oh, alright."

Sarn slid his pack off and handed it to the Halfling, who heaved it over his shoulder. As Gibb trudged towards the opposite door, the top half of the pack folded sideways, draping over his head. Meyer heard a string of muffled curses, and by the time Gibb reached the exit, all Meyer could see were the Halfling's two legs sticking out from beneath the pack. Meyer shook his head and followed Sarn to the back of the room.

At the end of the buffet was a mismatched stack of dishes, and Sarn was soon making his way along the edge of the table, piling food onto his plate. Meyer followed his lead, giving himself generous portions of everything. Soon his plate was overflowing with roasted meat, and potatoes and gravy, and he had little room for either of the chicken dishes, or the large selection of breads, salads and cheeses. By the time Meyer finished loading his plate, Sarn had set his own down at an open section of the table and returned to fill his mug.

Meyer placed his plate down across from his captor's and was about to return for a beverage when Sarn returned with two mugs, brimming with chestnut liquid. The thought of cold cider to wash down his meal only furthered Meyer's appetite, and he sat down to begin feasting. Across from him, Sarn was already dissecting his food, and for several minutes they ate in silence. Despite the small-game stews Meyer had eaten over the past few days, he felt as though he was being introduced to the joy of food for the first time. He ate with gusto and paused only for a large gulp of cider. The moment the drink entered his mouth, however, he spit it back into the mug. Instead of the sweet apple taste he was expecting, the liquid had a sharp dry flavor. He looked up to see a bemused look on Sarn's face.

"What were you expecting?"

"Cider," said Meyer. "What was that?"

"Ale," said Sarn.

"You mean with alcohol?"

"What other kind of ale is there!" said Gibb.

Meyer turned to see the Halfling standing behind him, one hand balancing an overstuffed plate, the other carrying a mug bubbling over with ale. Gibb carefully placed his meal down next to Meyer, and slid into the stool next to him.

"First you haven't heard of the Aramore Kingdom, now you haven't heard of ale. What next?"

"No, I've heard of ale," said Meyer. "I'm just surprised they're offering it by the barrel. That stuff is expensive."