Chapter Forty-One

They walked back to the dormitories in silence. Meyer vaguely noticed Jaeda glancing at him, but he ignored her gaze. His heart was racing, and between his pounding skull, and aching side, he could hardly think straight.

Eric had attacked him—ambushed him—tried to permanently hurt him... All because of Jaeda...

Meyer didn't know if he wanted to continuing beating Eric into the ground, or if he wanted to watch Eric being expelled from the Dale... He could imagine himself standing outside the guardhouse, holding Jaeda's hand, staring at Eric as Jato dragged his pathetic person out of the enchantment shield. And yet a small part of him felt scared—wanted to hide—Eric had tried to seriously injure him... Maybe even kill him... There were enough signs pointing to danger even without Eric's threats and violence...

When they reached the courtyard outside the dormitories, Jaeda turned towards Meyer, gently touching his fingers. "Will you come inside with me?" she asked quietly. "I'd like to talk to you."

Meyer said nothing, but allowed Jaeda to lead him across the yard and into the girls dormitories. They ascended three flights of stairs, entering into an empty corridor. Like the hallway outside Meyer's room, the floor was covered in a long rug, and on the doors hung golden name plaques. But in contrast to the dark blue of the boys' dormitory, the walls were painted a deep crimson.

Jaeda led Meyer into her room and closed the door behind them. She uncovered her glowstone lamp, bathing the room in soft light. Meyer took little notice of the furnishings, angling for the large armchair in the corner of the room. He sat down, closing his eyes.

"Are you alright?" asked Jaeda.

Meyer touched his hand gingerly to his face. His fingers came away wet with blood and his cheek felt puffy. "I'm alright," he said.

Jaeda raised an eyebrow skeptically. "I'll bring you a warm towel," she said.

Before Meyer could object she disappeared from the room. When she returned, she was carrying a large bowl of steaming water and two white hand-towels. She placed the bowl of water down on her desk, and dipped one of the towels into the bowl. Then she carried the dripping cloth to Meyer, who immediately draped it over his face. The warm water soothed his skin, and he lay with his head leaned back against the chair for several seconds before wiping the warm towel over his face and handing it back to Jaeda.

"Also," said Jaeda. "If you want ice... I just mastered the freezing charm."

Meyer managed a feeble smile. "Thank you," he said.

Jaeda walked back over to her desk and dropped the used towel next to the bowl of water. "Tesaravisaros," she whispered; there was a soft crackling.

She reached into the steaming water and withdrew a large block of ice. Wrapping it in the second towel, she brought the bundle to Meyer. Then she retreated to her bed, sitting down with her legs hanging off the end.

Meyer brought the ice to the side of his head and leaned back again. The ice seemed to increase his awareness of the painful throbbing behind his ears, but he held the cold block against his head nonetheless. He knew the numbing effect would save him pain later.

"I'm sorry for what happened," said Jaeda, hugging her arms around herself.

"It's not your fault," said Meyer, his head still tilted backwards.

"I used to date Eric," she Jaeda. "It is my fault."

Meyer's head snapped forward and for a moment he stopped noticing any of his pain. He lowered the ice from his head, fixing his gaze on Jaeda. Her eyes were turned towards the ground... Why had she never told him?