Chapter Thirty-Six

Ander did not discover a plan for re-entry into the Dale. To the contrary, he succeeded only in aggravating Jato by being caught twice lurking in the woods. After another week passed, he announced defeat.

"I think it's impossible," said Ander as they walked towards Tempest Circle, around them small groups of chattering Ajah and Sarren.

"Jaeda once mentioned anti-enchantment belts in the guardroom," said Meyer. "What about those?"

"You try breaking into the guardroom," said Ander. "The way they monitor that place you'd think they're keeping a stash dragonstone in there."

"So does that mean you're done investigating a way back into the Dale?" asked Cade.

"For now," said Ander. "Last time I was in the woods I saw Trant over by the enchantment shield. As long as that man is roaming free, count me out. I'd rather keep my limbs intact."

Meyer kicked a stone on the ground, his thoughts turning to the cruel treatment he faced from Trant three times a week. He briefly considered telling Ander to toughen up, but decided against it. He didn't want to draw attention to his sessions with Trant, which were growing increasingly unbearable.

"In that case," said Cade, turning to Ander. "Can I redirect your energies towards another job of snooping... I need some potions from the Alchemy Building."

"You've come to the right man," declared Ander. "Tell me what you need!"

Meyer stopped listening. As usual, his friends attentions had returned their petty concerns regarding the insular realities of Eldrin's Dale. Meyer refused to be similarly lulled. With each passing day he felt a growing sense of urgency, and despite the temperate afternoons which carried only the fragrant melancholy of autumn, Meyer could feel the danger...

As he turned away from his friends, deep in thought, a hand caught his arm.

"Meyer, I—" Jaeda stopped midway through her sentence as Meyer turned to face her. "Are you alright?" she finished.

"Sorry," said Meyer, trying to clear his mind... Above all else... You are in danger... "Just thinking about an enchantment Landon wanted us to study," he lied.

Jaeda shook her head. "Welcome to my life," she said. "I've been holed up practicing an ice creation charm for the past two days. I finally mastered it this morning."

Meyer smiled, noticing the light freckles beneath Jaeda's brown eyes. She looked particularly pretty, and as she pushed a strand of hair from her face, Meyer felt a pang of sadness.

"Anyway," continued Jaeda, "I overheard you talking with Ander about sneaking into Lampern..."

Meyer felt his stomach drop, his eyes involuntarily widening.

"And I think it's a great idea. I have no idea why Jebb has decided to put an end to the trips, but they're really fun. To think you've never gone!"

"Yeah..." said Meyer, feeling rather as though a blade had just swung past him, inches from his throat.

"If Ander figures out a plan, let me know," said Jaeda. "I'd love to go with you!" She smiled at him.

"Right," said Meyer, regaining his composure. "I should probably be going to my lesson with Landon. Good luck with your freeze charm."

"Thanks," said Jaeda.

But no sooner had Jaeda left, than Meyer was thinking about the ring again... If he did find a way to sneak back into the Dale, he would have to be that much more careful that Jaeda didn't find out... Not that hiding another piece of information from her would be difficult, he thought guiltily—there was so much she didn't know already...