Chapter Thirty-Nine

The walk to Lampern was long but uneventful. They didn't dare take the road in case of any patrolling guards, so they stopped frequently for Ander to scout westward and ensure they were progressing parallel to the path. Still, by late afternoon the trees gave way to tallgrass, and ahead of them the buildings of Lampern appeared less than a mile away.

When they reached the outskirts of the town, Meyer was so surprised by the lack of any fortifications that he hardly noticed the other features around him: small houses with wooden siding and straw roofs; smooth cobble roads, carefully slanted outward to channel rainwater into narrow drainage gutters; skinny white trees with white leaves, and fenced in gardens, blooming with the last produce of the season.

But as they walked deeper into the town Meyer finally began noticing his surroundings, observing the men, women and children they passed along the manicured road. The townsfolk were simple in their stoic expressions, reminding Meyer of the people of Vanroc, but unlike the Outlanders, the denizens of Lampern were clean, without a streak of dirt on their faces or tatters in their clothing.

Meyer and his friends rounded a large building with tall windows and three chimneys, and suddenly Ander stopped. Before them was a large square filled with trading stalls and surrounded by storefronts. A smattering of people were walking briskly between the various vendors, but Meyer's eyes were drawn to the edge of the square where signposts extended horizontally with names such as Paradise Produce or The Enchanted Florist. Other buildings were adorned with colorful flags that hung from poles tacked onto their outer walls. Urbana might have seemed grand, but already Meyer was more enamored by Lampern, the town square exuding a charm and magic unlike that of the industrious Outland trading city.

"Welcome to Lampern," said Ander.

"Usually there are a lot more people," said Cade.

Ander lowered his voice. "It probably has to do with The Magician," he said. "When I snuck in here last time it was the same way."

Cade nodded. "I'm sure that also explains the less than lively atmosphere."

Meyer glanced at Damian. His friend's face was blank, but his eyes were wide, and Meyer recognized the look of fear.

"Well, the Lampernites might be downcast," said Ander, "but business operates according to a different tune." He reached into his pocket and withdrew a pair of fifty-piece bronze coin, rubbing them together between his thumb and forefinger. "Let's stop by Kipp's to buy a few artifacts. Then we can show Meyer around a bit."

"Have you forgot we're here to visit Syburn?" said Cade.

Ander's shoulders slumped. "But Meyer's never been to Lampern!"

"It's alright," said Meyer. "I'm sure I'll get to explore the town another time."

But as Cade led them down a side street away from the square, Meyer was quite sure the opposite was true. He had the distinctive and disheartening feeling that he would never experience the entertainment Lampern had to offer.

After three quick turns, they veered down an alley before stopping in front of a crumbling narrow structure wedged between two square buildings. A faded sign read Syburn's Relics, Runes and Other Obscure Paraphernalia, but otherwise there was no indication that the building housed a commercial business. The decrepit storefront was at least three stories high, but besides two crooked glass encasings on the first floor, the only other window was a tiny round fenestration near the top of the structure, where the roof sagged inward to create an obtuse triangle. Even the ground level windows revealed no merchandise, behind their dusty panes only faded brown curtains.