Chapter Forty-Two

"I really don't think now is the time to go to Lampern with Jaeda," said Cade as Meyer dressed in his room following breakfast. Ander and Damian were also there, the latter retreated into the far corner by the window.

"What even happened last night?" said Ander. "Your right eye is definitely swollen."

"I'll tell you later," said Meyer, continuing with the evasive strategy that he had been employing all morning with varying success.

"Have you forgotten about the ring?" said Cade. "We agreed that we were going to visit Moon today."

Meyer picked up the coin pouch from his desk and stuffed it in his pocket. "Go to Moon without me," he said.

"You're the one who's had all the vision!" said Cade.

"Oh I see," said Meyer. "Now you believe Moon will care about another 'tall tale' concerning Eschera."

"Don't be condescending," said Cade. "We believe everything you've discovered."

"Well, historically you've never been too eager to act," said Meyer, his tone more scathing than he intended. "If I want to go to Lampern today, then I think we'll all be fine waiting to visit Moon until this evening."

Cade folded his arms.

Ander groaned.

"What about the anti-enchantment belt?" said Damian.

"I'll return it this evening," said Meyer.

"And risk another day of the guard noticing it's missing?" said Cade.

"That's my problem," said Meyer, crossing his room to the door.

"You're being ridiculous," said Cade.

Meyer shrugged and opened the door. "See you this evening," he said, and then stepped into the hallway. He could hear a large group of Ajah boys conversing in the common room, but he didn't so much as glance sideways as he passed. Instead he strode briskly to the end of the third floor corridor, and began descending to the ground level, leaping down the steps three at a time. He almost knocked over a Nahd tempest on his way to the dormitory exit, but as he burst outside, his agitation receded. The day could not have been more beautiful, with clear blue skies and a fragrant breeze.

Jaeda was already waiting, smiling brightly. "I still can't believe we're doing this," she said as Meyer approached. "Lampern is so fun—especially if you've never been before!" she took Meyer's hand, leading them from the courtyard.

They walked through the Orchid Garden, and then turned down the Greenway before ducking behind the Planar Residences and entering into the woods. The entire time they conversed casually, and the farther behind they left the dormitories, the better Meyer felt. Each breath of cool air revitalized his spirits, each step awakening more energy within him. And while neither he nor Jaeda mentioned the events of the previous night, there seemed to be an unspoken resolution regarding their outcome: he and Jaeda were the closer for it, and there was no reason to dwell on the past.

When they reached the enchantment shield and fastened the belt around themselves, Meyer took advantage of his proximity with Jaeda to kiss her, causing them to lose balance and fall down through the barrier. Laughing, Jaeda unfastened the belt, rising to her feet while Meyer extracted leaves from her hair.

"Well," said Jaeda. "Seeing as we're through the shield enchantment, we won't be needing this anymore." She swung her arm out as if to toss the belt upwards into the trees.

"No!" shouted Meyer.

But Jaeda didn't release the belt, and it arched backwards, dangling loosely by her side.