Chapter Thirty

Meyer was so angry that he tried to pull down his wardrobe. When the standing closet proved too massive for him to overturn, he flipped over his armchair. Then he remembered he could do magic, and he used a motion charm to send all of his clothes flying onto the upside down chair. For good measure he took the metal dowel from which the clothing had hung, snapped it in half using the jerakulsanos spell, and drove it into the armchair several times.

But looking at his destruction only made Meyer more angry. His friends were so selfish—so simpleminded—so stubborn. And Damian. What was wrong with him? Who was he to accuse Meyer of ignoring the real danger. They were the ones who were blinding themselves to the facts—who wanted to hide in the comfort of Eldrin's Dale, sheltered from the real world.

Meyer kicked his despoiled chair and walked over to his desk. He needed to leave. There was no other choice. He would provide a note to Moon, explaining his departure—warning about Eschera. Of course, Moon would think he was mad—just like everyone else thought—but at least he would be forewarned and perhaps more likely to send aid when Eschera finally revealed herself. Meyer took his stack of untouched Lampern allowances, and shoved them into his pocket. The coppers only added up to a few silver coins worth, but it was better than nothing. He also grabbed the skull and star emblem. Perhaps it would be worth something.

Turning around, he stared at his room. There wasn't much else to bring. He gathered a few pairs of clothes, and piled them on his bed, and took his green spell book, placing it next to Outland Maps. He would have to stock up on food from the kitchens, and steal a sword from the garrison... And he would also have to raid Scholar's Hall for a few more maps... Meyer found a rucksack in the bottom of his wardrobe, and stuffed his books and garments into it.

As he tied up his bag, he felt his eyes begin to water... He was just tired—he hadn't slept in more than twenty-four hours... He just needed to collect his energy for one moment... But as he lay back on his bed, a tear rolled down his cheek. He wiped it away, but then another formed, even as he fought to control his breathing.

There was a knock at the door.

Meyer clenched his jaw, quietly lifting a pillow from behind his head, and pulling it over his face.

The knocking continued, and he held his breath. He didn't want to talk with Damian, Ander or Cade; anyone else would only be worse.

The door creaked open.

"Meyer?" said a gentle voice.

Meyer pressed the pillow harder over his face, wishing the soft fabric would hide him from reality... shield him from the inevitable predicament already unfolding...

"Meyer..." repeated the intruder. "It's me, Jaeda... I don't have to stay but..."

Meyer didn't know if he wanted to suffocate himself beneath the pillow, or use it to drive Jaeda out of the room and slam the door behind her. Instead he lifted the cushion from his face and dropped it to the ground.

"Who told you to come here?" he said, still lying down.

"Nobody," said Jaeda.

"Don't lie," said Meyer, unable to keep the bitterness from his voice. "I'm sure Cade or Damian told you to visit me."

"I heard from Reed that the lot of you got into a an argument... but half the Ajah class knows that. You weren't exactly quiet."

Meyer sat up. "What did they hear?"

"Nothing specific," said Jaeda. "Only a bunch of shouting."

Meyer's shoulders relaxed.

"Will you tell me what happened?"