Chapter 47: Linstead Rebooted

The phone rang and Jay hesitantly answered. "Hello?"

"Is this Jay Halstead?" A man asked.

"Yes, and who is this?" Jay questioned, "and why are you calling me at 4:30 in the morning?"

"Sorry about the time but we needed to get in contact and mail is super slow. This is Sergeant Chappot of the U.S. Military. We need you in Iraq to direct a troop of 15 men. Your flight leaves tomorrow at 1800 hours. Your plane tickets should be under your name at the airport, we're waiting to "see you." Sergeant Chappot stated.

 "Thank you, sir. I'll see you soon." Jay stated. Obviously, Jay was upset about leaving his family to go to Iraq. Jay hung up the phone almost immediately and layed back down.

"Who was that?" Erin asked.

"It was just, ya know what, it was nobody, I'll tell you in the morning." He closed his eyes.

"It's 4:30, Jay. Who calls at this time of day? It must've been important."

"It was, Erin. It was the Military, I leave tomorrow at 1800 hours, 6 o'clock pm to go to Iraq." Jay stood up and punched the wall. "I don't want to go. I can't. We have three kids, Nicole and Noah are only 3. Three! And Shay, he's 7. I can't leave them. I can't leave you, Erin." Jay yawned.

"Mhmm," a sleepy Erin mumbled.

"Are you listening?" Jay asked.

"Nope. Go back to bed, we'll talk about it in a few hours, when we're supposed to wake up." Erin ordered. Almost immediately, they both fell asleep.

"Mommy! Daddy! Wake up!" Shay ran into the room.

"Shay, honey, we're up." Erin mumbled.

"C'mon, bud. Let's go fix y'all some breakfast. How about pancakes?" Jay smiled.

"Perfect." Shay laughed.

"I guess I'll go get the twins, then." Erin sighed.

She stood up and walked into their room to find them both still asleep and in the same bed. "I bought you your own beds for a reason. I guess you both love each though." She talked to herself and smiled at the thought.

"Erin, are you coming?" Jay shouted from the kitchen.

"Yeah, just give me a minute!" She moaned. She lifted Nicole up and held her on her left side and lifted Noah up and held him on her right side. Slowly, she walked down the stairs.

"Do you want scrambled egg--" He stopped when he saw Nicole and Noah's heads resting on Erin's shoulders as she walked down the stairs. "Babe, let me help," Jay ran over to her and grabbed Nicole.

"Thank you," Erin murmured. "Now, what's for breakfast! Shay, isn't it your turn to choose?" She smiled.

"Yes, Momma. And I think we should have waffles!" Shay exclaimed.

"Well, Dad..., make the kid some waffles!" Erin laughed.

"Waffles! That sounds delicious," Jay exclaimed and started making the batter. "Homemade, of course, right?"

"Yes, Dad. Of course." Shay grinned.