Interview?

The next day at school everything seems pretty much the same.

The snobby girls are still lumped together by the front entrance.

The jocky boys are still not to far over from them.

And everybody else comes and goes as the please....Until...

Until I watch Brock and Duke walk in. I've watched Brock and Duke enter this building everyday for the past four years of high school that I can sense when they enter even before I turn to see them. No, no, no, I am not a creep! Again, I am part of, actually president of, the newspaper club. It is my job to journal about the athletics. Specifically football. I may or may not have assigned myself this role...and it may or may not be because Duke Goldfarb is a running back for the Fightin' Green Rexes...but nevertheless I take my job very seriously.

You may think it is strange that I am so intrigued by someone I have possibly never exchanged a word with. However, I am an active observer. As a future professional journalist, I have learned to take in nearly every detail. And I know that-

"Got any news for me, Ms. Dickenson?" The newspaper advisor, Mr. Newman asks.

"Yes,...uh..the football team won their last game..News on the street is that their strong player, number 14, is accepted to Yale."

Mr. Newman smiles.

"That is an amazing achievement. You know what could be something else to consider for the newspaper?"

"Er..I can bring a camera and snatch some photos of the team..and Duke...for the paper. Is that what you had in mind?"

"Well..I feel like it is time you step out of your bubble."

What does he mean by that? I look down at my brightly colored tights and run my palms down my denim overall dress.

"What do you mean?"

"Well...Every entry you have submitted to me is about the team and your opinions, if I am not mistaken."

"Well I guess so. My job is to write about sports."

Please don't reassign me!

"Of course...I was thinking maybe you can interview someone for the newspaper?"

"An interview?.."

The only interview I have ever been involved with was to be a check out clerk at the library. It went horribly!!

"Yes, maybe you can consider interviewing Mr. Goldfarb?"

Oh my goodness...I think I am sweating! Duke probably has no idea who I am! I mean, I sit behind him in almost every class. We both are enrolled in practically all Advanced Placement courses... but to interview him? It's not that I am nervous to talk to him...ok maybe a little...it is just that I know a lot more about him than he can even fathom and I don't want to come across like a creep!

Brrrrrrrring!!!!!!!!

Time for AP Bio...

I slowly walk behind Duke and his crew since he's heading to Bio as well.

"So are you going to go?" His friend, Andy, asks.

"I guess...I mean I am kind of nervous..."

"But, Dude! You are already accepted!"

"I know..It's just kind of strange if you think about it. Like, I know an immense amount about Yale..but they really know nothing about me besides my application."

This is awkward..

"Aw, Dude...I think you are just thinking too much."

"I always think too much...I guess that's why I suffer from migraines.."

Ahhh I better jot that down! I also suffer from migraines, well headaches, but close enough...now that I think about it I guess I think too much too...

We enter the classroom and I take my seat behind Duke.

Our teacher, Mrs. Rodney hands the first person in each row a review packet for our unit on metabolic functions.

For the first time, Duke smiled at me as he handed back the packet!

"Thanks.." I mumble.

Wow. I guess he is just in a really good mood, but still! He smiled his infectious smile at me!

"Duke, can I talk to you after class if that's ok?" The word vomit! No!! I wasn't ready to ask him that!

"Uh, ok.."

He smiled again! This may actually work out pretty smoothly.