Indiana

I'm about to fall asleep when my phone wakes me up..

From: Duke
Hey want to come to my very last football game? It will be great for the paper!

I quickly respond
To: Duke
Of course! I've already planned to make an appearance..for the newspaper☺️🏈

Wow...I mean I know I've been to every game for the past 4 years..in addition to numerous practices each month. But the crazy thing is that now I am actually invited! Like of course I'd be there but the fact that Duke asked me to come makes me feel so very special ❤️
🏉🏉🏉🏉🏉🏉🏉🏉🏉🏉🏉
I just parked my car in this strange school's parking lot and exit the door. I am wearing two messy braids, a green dress, and my newspaper club windbreaker. It is black and has my last name on the back of it. I slip my Polaroid camera around my neck and scoop up my typewriter from the back seat.
"You look very professional! Are you the local news station?" A tall slim man wearing a red polo shirt asks.
"That's a nice compliment! No, sir. I am the president of the student run newspaper for Rex Lane High School."
"Ah, so you're for the away team..very nice..well since we both will be watching intently we should go find good seats. Anyone else with you?"
"No...just me.."
"That's too bad. You are a bright young lady."
Umm who is this man?
We enter the field and find seats in the second row.
"If you don't mind me asking, how come you're attending the game, are you someone's parent?"
The man laughs.
"No. I wish, I loved attending my son's high school games..I am an admissions representative and athletic recruiter at Indiana University. Some of these boys have real potential.."
"Indiana?!"
"You a Hoosier fan?.."
"Well, they're my top choice right now. I'm still waiting to hear from them. My father is an alum and I want to go into their journalism program."
The guy nods.
"Not bad...I'm Dr. Aaron Kurt."
I smile and shake his hand.
"Isabella Dickenson."
"Isabella Dickenson...you know I read your application. It was very impressive. I'm really supposed to be mailing these out but..."
He digs deep into his briefcase and pulls out a big red envelope.
He double checks the name on top.
"Yep..congratulations."
"I'M ACCEPTED?! To IU?!" I squeal.
"You sure are!"
"Wow! Who would have thought that today at the game...wow, thank you!!" I exclaim.
"You did it!"
The game is about to begin and I spot Duke on the field.
Wow..
"Hey, Ivy, what are you smiling about?" I turn around
"Oh, hi, Brock..I just got accepted to Indiana."
"Oh woah, that's really terrific! Congrats!" He smiles one of Duke's infectious smiles.
"Thanks, Brock! You too, on Yale. That is superb!"
"Aw, thank you!"
"Um, Brock. Is it ok if you don't tell anyone yet. Not even Duke. I kind of want it to be a surprise." I request.
"Yeah, for sure. Duke and I did the same for our parents. It was so hard to wait but it's definitely worth it."
I smile.
"Ok, good."

Fun Fact: I'm a Boilermaker fan,..but it's ok, Ivy. You can be a B-Town gal 😁