Chapter 14

Clarke and Octavia were running as fast as they could. Or, more to the point, Octavia was trying to find her way back to camp and Clarke was following her closely, making sure she did not loose her in the deeming forest.

At some point Octavia, who was not as in shape as Clarke, fell to her knees holding her side and gasping for air.

"Wha-what was that??!" she exclaimed panicked as she turned to Clarke for answers.
"That is the proof to my suspicions: there are people who have survived the nuclear war and we are on their turf." Clarke said looking around her to make sure they were alone in the forest.
"What does that mean?" was Octavia's uncertain question.
"It means," patiently explained Clarke, "that we are invaders. The survivors probably don't appreciate our sudden arrival. We are unknowns to them and represent a possible threat. I am surprised they haven't attacked us through they are probably watching us... This had to be a warning: don't go further than the river or we will kill you or something."

Clarke told Octavia with careful wording, not wanting the girl to consider the grounders enemies but still wanting her to be careful of them and making sure that no one would ever cross the river into the fog's range ever again. Plus if their was someone who could get to Bellamy it was her. Octavia took the time to think about what Clarke had said and had to admit that it made some sense as if the one who had attacked Finn was truly a survivor there was no doubt that he or she would have been able to follow them easily. Plus the landing of the drop ship was far from being stealthy, she had no doubt that anyone still alive had seen them arrive.
Still, there was something about how it all happened that bothered Octavia. She thought about it, replaying the events in her mind when she realized what was wrong.

"You knew."

Octavia's voice resonated in the silence of the forest, startling Clarke who froze at the words and feared that Octavia might have understood that she knew of the grounder beforehand.

Maybe, thought Clarke, she remembers too. Maybe i'm not alone.

The possibility was small seeing as the youngest Blake was in awe of everything the Earth had to offer and was repeating the same actions as before. Still Clarke had to be sure of what Octavia meant.

"Knew what?" she asked.
"You shouted at Finn when he crossed, before the spear hit him and you made us hide."

Hearing Octavia Clarke sagged in relief and disappointment. Octavia did not remember and neither did she understood that Clarke knew more than she let on. For now at least but Octavia had a sharp mind and Clarke was aware she would not be able to keep it secret long.

"I-I've been feeling observed since we left camp and then that feeling grew at the river. That's why i wanted Finn to stay with us, in a safe group." lied Clarke, feeling guilty to do so to Octavia.

The brunette nodded, half convinced of what Clarke had said, conscious that there was more the blond was keeping quiet. The fact that she respected Clarke for her ability with a knife, her 'earth skills' and the way she held her head high and made her opinion known even when confronted to her brother helped convince her that Clarke had her reasons to keep whatever truly happened a secret.
So aware that Clarke was not ready to share with anyone else but that there was more than the your girl was letting on Octavia decided to change subjects.

"So, what do we do now?"
"Now we get back to camp with the water, warn everyone of the Survivors and make sure the walls are up with guards."

Clarke had used the term Survivors instead of Grounders in order to raise more respect from the Arkers towards the grounders. The 100 other Arkers had to learn to not underestimate or offend them and the term Grounders, as correct as it was, was too general in the taste of the Trikru as it designated the entire population of the Coalition including their frenemy Azgeda. Plus the Arkers had been saying the word with prejudice and hatred, making it sound as if Grounders were lesser men than Arkers. With this name the Arkers would be forced to recognize the grounder's strength.

Only when Clarke told her about the water did Octavia realize that the blonde had carried the full jerrycans as she ran after her throughout the forest and that she was not even winded by it. Feeling awe and respect for the girl who was tough, strong, resilient and charismatic Octavia nodded and got up, ready to go again.

Trikru = Tree People
Azgeda = Ice Nation