Chapter 45

Chapter countdown to CLEXA: 10 ;)

The Survivor was keeping his word. In between the search parties and the hunting session, Lincoln had taken Octavia on private hunting trips twice already. the last time they had sat on a rock in the middle of the forest and he had forced her to listen. She had heard the wind sing in the leaves, the birds twitter to one another and the insects skitter discreetly.

after that he had singled bird nose's and taught her whom they belonged to and what they meant as well as how to reproduce them and use them as signals. She had wondered why bird's songs would be considered signals and he told her that gonas, warriors, used them to communicate while hunting intelligent preys. Understanding that he was teaching her military secrets she had smiled and said that their Heda must really want them to join the Coalition if they were willing to teach them that. His reaction of blushing and turning around had made her realize that he did not in fact have authorization to do so and was taking a risk to himself and his people by telling her those secrets.

"Are you gonna get into trouble?" she had voiced her worries in a quiet and timid tone that had made the strong man turn around and pushed him to reassure her with a soft smile.

"Not if you keep it a secret."

After that they had kept exchanging knowledge, him of the Kongeda and its wonders, telling her of all the place he had visited and her of the Ark and the few things she knew of it while carefully avoiding the subject of where and how she had spent her time. Time passed slowly and they kept sharing with each other until Lincoln suddenly tensed at a suspicious noise only him heard and stood, his hand pulling his sword out of its scabbard and walking in front of Octavia protectively.

"What's going on?" asked the young Blake, fearful of anything that could worry a warrior like Lincoln yet annoyed to once again need protection like in her youth from her brother or when Finn got speared from Clarke.

"Someone is here, hiding." he whispered to her with his jaw set in stone due to the tension he felt.

"Ask them to come forward." she suggested, hopeful that whomever was here was peaceful like all the other Survivors they had met before.

"I don't think they mean us well."

Lincoln's words had two effects, the first was to wash away Octavia's hope of a harmless resolution to this spying conflict and the second was to force the spy, or in this case spies, to come out of their hiding places.

They were seven men wearing clothes of teared cloth and fur similar to Lincoln and Anya's except for the fact that they were covered in and smelled strongly of dirt, blood and grime, that their swords were covered in dried chipping blood and rusting because of it and their faces were sometimes deformed with blood shot eyes All in all they were what Octavia would have expected survivors of a nuclear apocalypse: feral and savage.

"Run" said Lincoln to Octavia.

"What?"

"RUN!!!"

And they did. For the second time in three days Octavia was running for her life, going as fast as possible while her protector followed her and made sure she did not fall into a trap or ambush.

(A/N: Tadadadaa! Ripas!)

Gonas = Warriors

Heda = Commander

Kongeda = Coalition