Of Crime And Passion

Nick looked deeply at Linda as he hopped into the shower with her. Her long brown hair, deep hazel eyes, and curvy body beckoned Nick to come closer. But Nick hardly knew her. He found it odd that she never mentioned anything about her family, or what she did for a living. However Nick never mentioned his parents occupations either. Nick began to clean off Linda using sweet smelling soap he found in the shower, and Linda washed Nick in the same fashion. When they were all clean, dressed, and back in Linda's bedroom, Nick asked the question he'd been meaning to ask her earlier. "Linda, I want to know more about you. What is your family like? What do you do for a job?" Linda's expression changed from that of happiness to sadness. " Nick, this is very hard to talk about. Do you promise that what I tell you only stays between you and I?" "Yes" Nick said. " Nick, do you know about Miss Catford's brothel on Rosewood Ave.? " "Yes" Nick responded, quizzically. Miss Catford's was the most notorious brothel in Birmingham, and it was a few blocks away from his parents toy store. Linda spoke. "Nick.... I ... I was born there, 20 years ago. My mother was a prostitute who worked in that brothel, seducing married men who felt sexless with their wives, and wanted a good time. One of her clients was my father. I never knew him or his name, because my mum would always drop me off at a toy store that one of her friends owned while she worked. Her friend and her husband would always take care of me and make sure I was safe while my mom worked. She had a son who was my first real friend. He looked just like you. We would play at the toy store and at their house. He always made me smile no matter what. But then there came a day where I couldn't go back to the toy store. I didn't understand. My mom just said my dad was back, so we couldn't be seen in public anymore aside from going to school. As I grew up into my teen years, I began to sleep with men for money in the brothel. It was a horrible experience, and I eventually left the brothel at 18, enrolled in University, and bought this flat. Ever since then, I've been looking for the family who cared for me when my mother wasn't there to do so. I don't know where they are or if they are even still in Birmingham! " Linda sighed. Nick spoke. "Maybe I can help. Do you know the name of your mother's friends?" "Yes. Sylvia and Roger Bates. They had a son... His name was Nigel, no no that's not it.... Norville?.... No. That's not it either. It was Nicholas, yes Nicholas James Bates..." Suddenly Nick remembered a girl he was friends with long ago who used to spend time with him at the toy store. He looked at Linda and began to cry. He was Nicholas James Bates, his parents were Sylvia and Roger who owned the toy store. Linda began to cry as Nick told her this, and a unknown void that had been sitting empty in Nick's heart began to fill. He hugged Linda tighter as he cried. Suddenly, Linda spoke. "I love you so much, Nick. Thank you for what you have done." With that Nick embraced her tightly. A connection had been formed.