Chapter 7 - Accusations

A/N

I'm so sorry, but this chapter is a short chapter! Don't forget to vote if you like it ❤️

Enjoy!
__________________________

TRIS POV

Training was cancelled for the rest of the day. I just couldn't bring myself to make the initiates do it, especially with the given circumstances.

I close the door to our apartment after letting me and Tobias in. There is silence for a few minutes: Tobias sat down on the sofa, looking down and playing with his hands, and me just standing there and watching him.

Every second this silence continues it breaks me a little more, and he thinks sitting there and twiddling his thumbs is going to solve all of our problems?

He must be thinking. I can tell by the way his bottom lip sets between his teeth and the way his eyebrows are drawn in.

"What's going on in your head?" I say softly. It's so weird to hear my
voice -any voice- because of how long it's been so quiet.

All of Tobias's facial features relax.
He looks up at me and our eyes meet. His eyes are usually enough to swallow me whole, but now, at a time like this, I simply refuse to let them.

"What do you mean?" he says. I think he meant to say it softer, but instead he sounds defensive and full of anger.

"You're thinking." I take a small step closer to him. "What are you thinking?"

"What are you thinking?" he asks without a thought, standing up. His voice is raised.

I have a feeling that in a moment our apartment will turn into the venue for World War III.

"I'm thinking this is my fault!"
Now I'm the one biting my lip. He furrows his eyebrows. "I just left him there, Tobias! It's my fault and this happened because I was so selfish that-"

"You're not selfish," he says flatly.

"I am."

Tobias turns his head away from me and laughs a little to himself. Why is he laughing?

"What?" I spit.

"You're kidding, right?" I raise an eyebrow.

"I'm being serious. You need to start being serious, too," I say.

"I am being serious!"

There is silence for a moment. I'm not used to this kind of silence with Tobias. An uncomfortable one.

It's like we don't even know how to argue with each other.

He sets his hands on both of my shoulders and gets close. Close enough for me to feel his breaths on the top of my forehead.

His lips touch my head, but he doesn't kiss it.

"You're the most selfless person I've ever met." Not true. "You're in no way selfish, Tris." Lie.