Chapter 15 - Curiosity Killed The Cat

A/N

This chapter is so bad and unedited 😅 Whoops.

-Tayah

_______________________
TRIS POV

"What. Exactly. Is this?" Max's voice booms around his office. I look at Tobias and he grips the arm of his chair.

This morning, I got a note telling me to come to Max's office. At first, I thought it was some sort of Dauntless leader thing, but then I saw that it was addressed to both Tobias and I.

Max presses a button and a hologram appears before us. (A/N Keep in mind this is set in the future, and they definitely had holograms in the movie.)

At first, I can't make out what he wants to show us, but then the recording starts and I realise it's footage of the initiates' training the day Finnbar died.

Hologram Finnbar is pulled off of Vicky, then is knocked out by me, as Tobias carries Vicky out of the room, and into the infirmary.

Max stops the recording once we get to the part where I practically usher the other initiates out of the way.

"Why'd you stop?" Tobias asks Max. "Want me to get some popcorn or something?" I can't help but snigger, so Max glares at both of us. I bite my lip to try keep myself from laughing.

"This," Max says slowly, "is not a laughing matter."

"Well I don't see why it's a serious one. Why do we need to see this? We were there," I say, then I pause. "Clearly."

"This recording," Max says, "now makes you, Tris, a person of interest in this case."

"What does that mean?" I ask.

"It means if I were you I'd watch what I take seriously and what I don't."

"I'm.. Not following.." Max sighs in frustration.

"You're not taking this as seriously as you should. There has not been a single murder that we know of in this city in recent times." Max stops to take a sip of his drink. What the heck is he drinking?

"We thought it would be most suitable to take this case to Candor. I'm very sure they'll find this footage, in which you knock the victim out, very interesting." He's right. It definitely looks like I killed him. The only way I know that I didn't do it is because Tobias is convinced he saw A do it.

"I-" I'm interrupted.

"That doesn't prove a thing," Tobias interferes.

"It clearly shows that-" Max starts.

"That Tris knocked him out." Tobias shrugs. "That's all."

"He's right. Show it to the Candor. I don't care. Because that recording," I say, gesturing to the paused hologram, "doesn't mean a thing."

"Miss Prior. I can assure you they will find out the truth. One way," he says, looking at Tobias, "or another," he finishes, looking to me.

"What about the rest of it?" I ask.

"What do you mean?" Max asks. They both look at me expectantly.

"Well did you check the rest of the security footage? Obviously it would show what actually happened."

"We tried to check," he says. "But we couldn't. Whoever did it prevented the camera from working. The camera wasn't damaged, but it was corrupted."

"What makes you think she's be able to corrupt an advanced technology security system?" Tobias asks.

"It's just a camera," Max says. "And you'd be surprised of what people are capable of."

"What's that supposed to mean?" Tobias asks.

"Well I'm sure you're just the same small, petty girl from Abnegation," Max answers. Tobias gets out of his chair as if to lunge at Max, but I stop him. I'm used to comments like that, I just wasn't expecting them from such authority. Tobias sits back down, knowing it'll just makes things worse if he attacks him. That'd make things much worse.

"Who was in the control room? Whoever it was, it's their job to make sure things like this," I gesture to the empty space in front of me, "never happens." I ask Max.

"That's why you're here, Four." Tobias points to himself and raises his eyebrows.

"I wasn't working there at the time. You saw me in the footage. I was there."

"But you weren't. Where where you?"

"Oh, I uh.." Tobias scratches the back of his neck with the hand that isn't violently gripping onto the arm of his chair. "I was in the infirmary.. With Vicky."

"For that long?"

"He met with me in the cafeteria afterwards. You know, before you came in?" I say.

"So you.. Didn't perhaps see anything on your way there?" Max asks. Shit. We can't say a word about A.

"I thought you were leaving the questions to the Candor? You said they were the ones handling the case," I say.

I had to say something. I can tell that if Tobias said anything, it would give away the fact that he saw it happen, so I tried to avoid the question.

"They are. I'm just.. curious," Max says. Erudite much??

"You know what that did to the cat, right?" I ask, smugly.