Chapter 27 - Illogical

When Caleb realises what I needed to say was pretty serious, we go to an empty laboratory so we can be alone. I tell Caleb everything about A. About the texts and the threats. I tell him about Tobias seeing A kill Finnbar and how it looks like one of us did it. And I tell him about the trial.

I have to admit, it feels good to let it all out. But I haven't told him everything. What A knows, and uses against us, is too big of a secret to tell even my brother. No matter how much I want to, I can never be completely honest with anyone. Other than Tobias.

"Will is Cara's brother.." Caleb shakes his head. "And Cara's nothing like that."

"Cara and will are two completely different people." I look at my black clothes and his blue ones. "So are you and I."

"And you want me to help you?" Caleb asks, biting into an apple I didn't even know he had until now. I look at the apple, nodding. Then I scan the room. There are at least six apples in here, scattered around on tables, on top of books, next to computers.

"Do they keep those everywhere I'm Erudite?"

"Yeah," he says, swallowing and taking another bite. "They're kind of an obligation.. You want one?"

I think about it for a second. I didn't eat much yesterday and I left Dauntless before Tobias even had a chance to wake up, so I say, "Yes please."

He pics up the closest one and hands it to me. I rub the outside with my sleeve and stop when I see something carved into it.

A

I should be scared, knowing that Will knew I was going to come here, shouldn't I? Well I'm not. Frankly, I'm not surprised at all.

I should scream, but instead I calmly pick up different one and bite into it, not bothering to wipe this one with my sleeve.

"I don't see how I can help you,
Be-Tris."

"You can start by getting my name right." Caleb looks down at his shoes and I feel bad. "I'm sorry. I'm just-"

"Irritable? Angry? ..On your period?" I glare at him.

"I'm stressed."

"I don't blame you. I would be too. But how do you even know that it's Will?"

"Tobias said he saw him with a different phone, he was typing and then stopped when we got an A text, he-"

"Woah.. Wait. You're basing an accusation on coincidences? That's the most illogical thing you can do in this situation." Caleb doesn't get it. I don't care what's illogical.

"These aren't just coincidences!" I hold up the apple with the 'A' on it and point to it. "This isn't a coincidence! Will is from Erudite. Who else would be smart enough to work out where I'm going before I even decide to go there?"

"Wait right there." Caleb walks to a bin-- probably to discard his apple core.

Instead of the remains of an apple, he comes back with a sheet of paper and a pen.

"What's that for..?"

"You want me to help you, right?" Caleb straightens the piece of paper and clicks the end of the pen on the table. "Tell me how I can help you, and I will see what I can do."

I stare at the piece of paper as if looking at it will give me the answers I want so badly right now.

"Let's just say it is Will.. What do I do? How do I stop him?"

"You could confront him.." He considers this for a moment. "Now that I think about it, that wouldn't be very wise." My eyes skim across my reflection on the metal table.

"Why wouldn't it be?"

"Confronting someone who knows things you can't afford for certain people to know? That's illogical." In my head, I mentally slap him. I have heard that word way too many times since I've been in Erudite. But then I imagine how long he'd last in Dauntless without hearing the word 'bravery'. Not very long at all.

"So.. I tell someone of authority." I think of Max and the other leaders. Of how they've probably done much worse then carve letters into apples and send anonymous texts. Would Dauntless leaders even care? "What would they do?"

"I wouldn't think that far ahead, Tris. I think you need to make sure you have the right person."

"And how do I do that?"

"You've got the trial tomorrow, right?"
Right. I forgot about that. I'll add that onto my list of things to stress about.

"Mhm."

"Wait until the trial."

"Why the trial?"

"Because you said Four, who, by the way I still don't approve of, saw A kill that initiate."

"I don't need your approval, but yes, go on.." Caleb sucks in a breath and sighs loudly.

"If you're definitely sure Will is the killer, he will be found guilty. If you can just grin and bare it until then, then you'll have nothing to worry about."

"But he won't be found guilty. I don't think you get it, Caleb. Will has found a way to make it look like it was either me or Four." His nickname tastes weird in my mouth. "Will isn't even a person of interest. I will be surprised if he's even at the trial!" Suddenly I'm shaking and I feel hot. Caleb abandons the paper and pen and embraces me with a hug.

"I don't need a hug," I say, pulling back. "I need to kill Will."

"They think you're a murderer. All that would do is prove them right." I run my hand through my hair and throw my apple into the bin. Even though I'm far away, it goes in, and even the little accomplishment makes me feel giddy.

"But I need to."

"No." Caleb sets a dry, cold hand on my shoulder and squeezes lightly. "What you need is to win that trial tomorrow.. And I know you will." He smiles and, although I don't want to, I smile back.

Maybe he's right. They'll put us under truth serum-- something I can override without hassle. But I don't need to lie under truth serum. I don't need to lie, period. Because the truth is that I didn't do anything, and I know that.

Maybe I'm not even worrying about me. Maybe I'm worrying about someone else.

_____________________
A/N

Woohoo double update!
A new chapter will be up in a bit as well. 🌚✨

-Tayah