3/Evaluation/

"She'll pack up her things at the crack of dawn
All the road ahead goes on and on
Her father asks her
"Please don't go?"
But there are things past this place she would like to know,"

August, 11th

The wind was chilling the room slowly from the open window. It was partially open, and the moon poured through the glass panes like water, making the dust particles in the air visible from her bed on the opposing side of the room.

Thoughts full of anticipation and anxiety had plagued her since she had received her letter, and suddenly it hit her fully. She would be leaving. She wouldn't sleep in her bed anymore. She wouldn't see her dad at dinner, where he would stumble down the stairs and ruffle her hair. Everything would be different.

A sole tear ran down her face where she hastily wiped it away. She tucked her teddy closer to her chest tighter, squeezing it's paw like a small child might do. Her gaze swept over her brothers sleeping form illuminated by the moonlight at the other end of the dark room.

"Perry." Robin spoke into the room. 

Peregrine stirred in his sleep as his eyes opened gradually.

"Perry. I'm scared." Her voice but a whisper in the cold air.

Peregrine lay still in his bed.

"I don't know what to do—" She choked on her words as he sat up and pushed himself into a sitting position on the wall behind him. He turned to his left where his sister sat hunched, leaning back on her headboard.

The next thing she knew was her brother lifting her blanket and scooting in next to her.

He nudged her with his shoulder, "Shove over would ya?" He gestured to the nonexistent space he had on his right before he would tumble to the wooden flooring.

"Look," She sniffled as he rubbed the back of her hand in a comforting fashion, "We're turning 14 soon right..?" The hopefulness in his voice brought on a fresh wave of nerves to her and she let out a strangled laugh.

"Then we'll be heading off to The Avarice Academy." Robin said with a tone of finality. She breathed out a long breath.

"What if they don't like us?" She gripped his hand tighter.

"All we have to remember is, that their words do nothing but remind us that we are alive," He caressed the back of it with his thumb in a comforting way.

He grinned at her sideways as he watched the cogs working in her brain. Then suddenly her eyes lit up and she started laughing. A genuine laugh, one he hadn't heard from her since Delia stopped visiting.

"Did you just quote The Lonely King to me?!" She got out between her giggles.

"Maybe I did." He smirked, "You know I've read that book more than a million times." Perry spoke as he joined in with her infectious laughter.

She leaned on his shoulder to her right and yawned, "Yeah. Me too. Its one of the only things Mother didn't bring with her....when she left," She paused, gathering herself to ask, "Where do you think she is now? Last time I got a post card it was The Eiffel Tower just after New Years."

"Somewhere in the Mediterranean last I heard. You know... Dad was on the phone with her a few days ago...Something about a Social Welfare check." His voice had taken a serious tone, still bewildered as to what his father had been talking about.

"I'm going back to sleep... Do you want me to stay?" He asked as he watched his sister blink sleepily.

"It's s'okay, you can go back to your own bed." She ruffled his hair affectionately.

From his own bed he whispered to her as he settled down into the warmth of his blankets, "Love you."

Her reply came out indistinguishable but he was already asleep.

Neither of them had realised how long they had been talking and the moon had descended considerably, the last rays painting the wooden floor as the clear night sky looked over them as they fell back into a restful sleep again.