5/Depreciation/

August, 21st

Robin stepped cautiously down the steps of the stairs, a large box being held precariously in her small hands.

"Here, kiddo, let me take that for you," Her father insisted as he took the box from her arms. She swayed dangerously with the unexpected weight loss.

"Men are the stronger sex, after all. Why don't you go see where Perry's run off to and leave the heavy lifting to us men." He joked jovially to her on his way down the last few remaining steps.

She fumed silently behind his back and thundered back upstairs to her brother, her abrupt mood change going unnoticed by her dad. At the top of the landing of the third floor outside her and Perry's bedroom she paused.

Her earlier anger dissipating quickly.

Just on the other side of the door she could hear Perry in the phone. She knew she shouldn't be eavesdropping but as his voice raised in frustration, her curiously piqued. She wondered idly who he was talking to, but as his voice grew louder she thought better than getting caught listening in and pulled down the handle of the door, stepping into the room.

He acknowledged her with a nod. His phone was against his cheek and shoulder, as he broke off a piece of cello tape with his teeth. He picked up the piece of tape with one hand and the phone in the other, answering the person the line.

"Yeah she's just here. Did you want t—" He was cut off by a screeching exclamation on the other line.

Robin stood stock still facing away from him, pretending to be stacking books ready to be packed.

"It's Delia." She turned to him, her face frighteningly blank.

"What does she want?"

He handed her the phone and spoke to her in a hushed whisper, "Just talk to her, okay? I know you're mad because you feel she abandoned you, but just— Listen to her side of the story?"

She place the phone in her hand. She stared at it blankly, hearing her old friend's voice faintly.

She lifted it to her ear.

•••

Delia sat at the chair beside her desk, twisting her hair around her finger nervously.

"Robin?" Her voice hesitant.

"What." Robin replied stiffly.

The coldness coming from her once friend made her regret acting out her harsh jealousy. They had dreamed of going to The Avarice Academy for years, and last year, just days after her 13th birthday, they sent off their application forms.

She knew it was rare to see more than a few people picked from each country but with their luck, she wasn't surprised that they both got scholarships.

They were exceptional students. Both of them.

"I just wanted to ask you if you could meet up with me. Thursday, out by the pier."

There was a pause on the other line.

"But I'm leaving on Thursday." Robin answered wearily, unsure if her friend was about to lash out again.

"Just meet me at the pier at 8 o'clock before you leave. I know the bus doesn't leave before midday, anyway," She laughed lightly but paused once she realised Robin didn't return the sentiment, "So you'll be there?"

"Okay."

The line went dead and a white noise replaced the voice of her longtime standing bestfriend. Who was not currently on good terms with her.

She placed her phone back on her desk.

"Well it's a start." She stated with little conviction in her voice.