Chapter Twenty-Four

Unedited

***

***

Chapter Twenty-Four:

"So, why am I here?" Douglas Harper leaned back in his seat. He had a feeling that this was all bogus and, ultimately, a waste of time. His right foot tapped impatiently on the floor. When no one said anything, Mr. Harper released a sigh, "Someone speak before I decide to leave."

"My client has agreed to speak."

Douglas looked over at the wannabe-big-shot lawyer who was sitting across from him. "Listen, I've been given the run down several times. Your client wants to speak but only if he's guaranteed immunity or a lighter sentence. Neither of which you're getting, Mr. Frazier." Douglas glanced at the jailee next to the lawyer. "You can't get out of this. You've made your bed, Mitch, it's time for you to lay in it." Mr. Harper felt a surge of happiness knowing that Mitch was going to rot in jail for a very long time.

Douglas got up and was about to exit when Mitch spoke up, "Camille Kennedy."

Turning around on his heels, Douglas faced Mitch.

"You look like you've seen a ghost, Doug," Mitch taunted.

"You said Camille Kennedy," Douglas stated just above a whisper. Suddenly he found his voice and spoke louder. "What do you know about her?"

Mitch gave a mincing smirk. "I know her as well as I know Nola B."

Douglas balled up his fist until his knuckles turned white. "Where is she Mitch?" He tried to remain calm.

Douglas walked over to the table that Mitch and his lawyer still sat at. "Camille has been missing for almost three years. Did you take her? Did you have anything to do with her disappearance? Do you have her?"

"He has agreed to tell you where Camille Kennedy is being held. In exchange, he will take 20 years with a chance of parole."

Mr. Harper gave a thunderous laugh, "You're funny, Mitch. 20 years? If what you are hinting at - now two accounts of kidnapping - and I'm assuming you didn't spare Camille from your rage either. I can't and won't guarantee anything under 40 or 50 years, without the chance of parole."

"You can do much better than that," the lawyer spoke up.

Douglas shook his head, "Where is she, Mitch?"

"I'm not admitting to kidnapping Camille Kennedy or harming her - yet. But, hypothetically, if I did you must realize that since Camille hasn't been unseen for three years, someone must have locked her up - you know, so she couldn't escape. If that's the case, the person that caged her up would have to be there to feed her and let her use the bathroom everyday.

"I've been locked up for several days, Doug." Mitch gave a smirk. "You're wasting time asking me questions that I won't answer or admit to until I get a better deal."

Douglas didn't say anything before storming out of the room. He tried to control his anger as he marched down the halls to his office. He knew if he stayed in there he was going to kill Mitch.

"Sir, the Captain asked to speak to you in ten minutes."

Douglas was standing in the threshold of his office when a voice stopped him. He turned around and saw the station's summer intern, Shirley Smith, standing a few feet from him. "Do you know what he wants to talk about?"

"He found out that Mitch Frazier called a meeting with you and his lawyer. He wants to know what happened."

Douglas groaned. "Okay, thank you."

"Mr. Harper, I overheard that Mr. Frazier has another girl."

"I've told you not to eavesdrop on my meetings and interviews." Douglas walked into his office. He went straight to his desk and sat down in his chair.

Shirley rolled her brown eyes and went into Mr. Harper's office.

Douglas reached in his pocket to get out his cellphone. However, when he saw Shirley walking in he stopped what he was doing. "What do you want?"

He grabbed his computer mouse and glided it across the mousepad, awakening his screen.

"So, who is she?"

Douglas stared at the desktop photo he had set. His eyes were in a trance as he realized that Camille was alive. He thought he would never find her. "I'm sorry. What were you talking about?"

Shirley sighed, "Camille Kennedy - who is she?"

Douglas stared at Shirley for a solid minute, without saying anything, before shaking his head. "Can you get me Wallie Ashton on the phone?"

"What for?"

"He's the only one that can get me a deal close to what Mitch wants."

"You're not seriously getting him the deal he wants."

Douglas closed his eyes, "Shirley, you're the one wasting time, now."

"Right," Shirley dashed out of the room.

Douglas reached in his front pocket and pulled out his cell phone to make a call.

"Hello, thank you for calling Kennedy Weddings. How may I direct your call?"

"Rose Kennedy, please."

"I'm sorry, she's in a meeting right now."

"It's Douglas Harper and it's an emergency."

"Hold on one moment."

A soft jazz music sounded from the other line. Douglas rolled his eyes at the sound that slowly began to annoy him.

"What do you want, Douglas?"

"Rose, she's alive. Camille's alive."

***

A/N:

Please:

Comment,

Vote,

and

Smile!!