Chapter Sixty-Five

Unedited

***

***

Chapter Sixty-Five:

"So, Mitch Frazier was your patient," Douglas stated as he sat down across from Dr. Weston. He analyzed Jackie as she adjusted in herself in her seat and pressed her lips into a fine line. "I received all that information, and more, through a warrant." Mr. Harper added because he knew that Dr. Weston would tell him that she couldn't divulge anything about Mitch, under law - to save her hide. "It says here," Douglas allowed a sly smirk to play on his lips as he leaned over and opened the file that was placed on the table before him. "Mitch first saw you when he was seventeen, as ordered by a court for anger management." Mr. Harper shifted his focus to Jackie.

Dr. Weston refused to look at Douglas, her eyes remained glued to the table in front her. She knew that she had been foolish enough to believe a connection to her and Mitch would never come out in the light. However, once Mr. Harper admitted that he knew a portion about her past with Mitch, Jackie had a feeling that the rest would soon be revealed.

Jackie was thankful that her hands were under the table because it concealed the way she was nervously wringing her hands.

Douglas continued when he realized that Dr. Weston was not ready to talk. "He saw you consistently for a year after his first visit. I'm fascinated to know, in your opinion, why he continued to see you when the court only ordered six months of mandatory meetings."

Jackie glanced over at Mr. Harper, "Everyone has issues. Not to mentions, I happen to be a well-known doctor."

Nodding, Mr. Harper soaked in what she had told him. "Agreed, everyone has issues." He glanced back down at the file, making sure he was about to get his facts straight. When he read what he was looking for, Douglas turned his attention back to Jackie. "I couldn't help but notice that his mother was diagnosed with cancer around the time the court issued anger management. Do his issues, like anger, come from issues with his mother?"

Snickering, Jackie replied, "Maybe you should get a doctorate in psychology."

"Maybe I should. However, right now I'm just trying to figure out why you went under oath saying that Nola B. was not in the right frame of mind to testify against Mitch." The truth slipped out for Douglas felt no need to beat around the bush - he had the upper hand.

"She isn't. Nola suffers from severe post-traumatic stress disorder that clouds her current thinking and judgment. If it were under my authority, she would be kept under close eye for a while, until someone can get her under control, with the right treatment and medications."

Mr. Harper raised an accusing eyebrow. "Is that what you were trying to do? When you gave her those pills?"

"Pardon?"

"When you poisoned Nola, sending her into a coma by force feeding her those pills. Was that your way of giving her 'the right treatment'?"

Dr. Weston bit the inside of her cheek, finding herself backed into a corner. "I was not the one who poisoned Nola and sent her into a coma."