Chapter Sixty-Three

Unedited

***

"I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles." —Audrey Hepburn

***

Chapter Sixty-Three:

After about an hour Nola had finished seeing Hannah, Claudine, Caesar, Remus, and Parker's parents. When they had all left, Parker was left in the room with Nola. He sat in his chair, unable to shake the smile off his face. "I'm so glad that you're awake," Parker spoke.

Nola felt her eyes roll to the back of her head, "The next time I hear someone say that I think my head will explode."

After a moment, Nola only registered the loud sound echoing off the walls as being melodious. She glanced over to her side, only to find Parker releasing a series of laughter. Nola did not understand what he found so humorous. "Why are you laughing?"

Sobering up from his drunken laughter, Parker shook his head. "Nothing, Nola B."

After a minute, Nola nodded. "It's late, I'm tired."

Parker took a quick look at his wristwatch to find that it was nearing four o'clock in the morning. His brown eyes glanced back up at Nola. "You've been sleeping for three weeks," his voice revealed an underlying complaint.

It was Nola's turn to chuckle and when she did Parker couldn't help but find himself hypnotized by the mere sound. Hearing her laugh made Parker want to trap the moment in time, that they were in. If that was possible, Parker could see himself replaying the moment that they were sharing over and over for the rest of his life. He'd do it, just to hear the sound of her voice - and her laugh.

"Yes, that is true. However, I-I still feel tired . . . you should go to your house and get some sleep, like everyone else."

The subject had changed and Parker found himself clearing his throat. He shook his head, not having any of what she was saying. "No, I'd like to stay here with you." His eyes met hers, "Please," he pleaded, knowing she had the final say — he would do what she asked, as long as she was safe and happy.

Nola's lips parted and an argument was already at the tip of her tongue. Yet, Nola couldn't escape the past, as much as she wanted to, because as soon as she went to speak, her mind was quick to remind her of Mitch and the lesson of 'women do not argue'.

It took Nola a prolonged second to gather the courage to continue talking. "Parker, I don't mind you staying but here is nowhere for you to sleep."

Still keeping his smile, Parker responded, "I do have somewhere to sleep — in my magical chair."

Nola's eyebrow twitched up. She had no idea what he was talking about. "A magical chair?"

Parker nodded and then motioned to the chair he was sitting in. "Yes, what you don't know is that this chair is no ordinary chair. It is enchanted to bring the user maximum comfort. Looks are deceiving, you know?"

She saw straight through him. "You're so full of shit, your eyes are brown," Nola quipped.

Parker was prepared for Nola to call him out on his lie — she had been in a feisty mood ever since she woke up. However, it stunned him to the core when she gave him such a sarcastic response to his lie about 'the magical chair'.

Feeling his mouth being ajar from shock, Parker pressed his lips together and adjusted himself in his seat. He sat there patiently and bewildered as to what she was going to say next. Parker was excited, he hadn't seen her be this way since Mitch.