Chapter Forty-Two

Unedited

***

"There are many who don't wish to sleep for fear of nightmares. Sadly, there are many who don't wish to wake for the same fear."

- Richelle E. Goodrich

***

"Hey, Nola!" Katherine, Nola's mother, called out before Nola could escape. "Your aunt went out for the evening with some friends from town ... I thought you and I could make dinner together."

"When are you and dad leaving for Peru, again?" Nola inquired, ignoring her mother's suggestion and getting straight to the question burning on her mind.

Katherine sat up straight on the couch and opened her mouth to reply to her daughter but Nola quickly interrupted before she got the chance.

"Nevermind, don't answer that. People around here say one thing but they will do another."

"Nola ... I'm sorry."

Nola stared keenly at her mother and noticed the pity that was reflecting in her mother's eyes. Shaking her head, Nola spoke, "You should not have to apologize for what happened between Mitch and I. I was the one that was foolish enough to stay with him."

"No, Nola, I was your mother and you were underage ... you were my responsibility." Katherine glanced away from her daughter and attempted to control her emotions so she wouldn't break down in front of Nola.

Without hesitating, Nola shrugged her shoulders knowing that she did not blame her mother. "I do not blame you for that."

Katherine released a subtle sigh, relieved that her daughter didn't hold a grudge over her. Yet, she knew that she was still a guilty party in what happened to Nola. Nothing would change her mind on that. Looking back over at Nola, Katherine gave a small smile and said, "I thought about us making dinner together, tonight, like we normally do. We can make Salisbury Steak because I have bought some ground beef at the grocery store today. Or, maybe we can make enchiladas."

"I don't-"

Feeling rejection coming along, Katherine decided to throw in something she thought would interest Nola more. "I know I could convince your father come join us, in cooking. We could all make something together, as a family."

The only reason Katherine suggested that Nola's father join was because in recent years Nola would only talk to her father on the phone, when they were away. Part of her wondered if it had to do with Mitch, but another part of her sense that Nola did have a grudge over her. But, she now knew it was not because Nola blamed her for Mitch's abuse but that Nola was mad at her for, basically, being a flaky mother that was never home for an extended amount of time. And, Katherine knew when she was here, especially in more recent time, she was more distant with her daughter then she had in Nola's younger years.

"No, thanks," Nola turned to walk away but her mother stopped her once more.

"What if your father and I took you out to dinner? Anywhere you wanted," Katherine offered.

***

"And, what did you tell your mother in response to taking you out to dinner with your father?" Jackie asked Nola with an intent look.

Previously leaning forward in a leather wingback chair, Nola exhaled softly and leaned back. "I told her I had too much homework to do and that I probably wouldn't eat dinner."

"And did you?"

Nola, who had been staring down at her lap, glanced up and met Jackie's eyes. "Did I what?"