Chapter Fifty-Four

Unedited

***

***

Chapter Fifty-Four:

"Oh, I didn't think you'd be up here this early," Hannah spoke in slight shock when she entered Nola's hospital room. Her eyes focused in on Parker who was sitting in a chair, nodding off. She had expected him to be at home this early in the morning, sleeping. However, instead, she found him loyally by Nola's side. Hannah gave a slight smile, to show that she did not mean any harm by her words.

Parker blinked, trying to wake himself up. "What time is it?" Positioning himself up straight in the chair, Parker rubbed his eyes.

"It's seven in the morning . . . we came here because . . . Nola missed prom last night."

It was then that Parker noticed Hannah was not alone. Standing behind Hannah was about five people, that he could see, crowding around the doorway. Each was holding something, whether it be a bags or strings attached to balloons.

"What's going on?" Parker inquired.

Hannah nervously bit her bottom lip. She was scared Parker wouldn't like her idea - thinking if he didn't, Nola wouldn't either. "Well, like I said, Nola missed prom last night..."

Parker ran a hand through his disheveled hair, upset that he and Nola missed the opportunity to go to prom. He had so much planned for that night, all in an attempt to woo her. However, now it felt like a million years had come and gone. "Oh..."

Hannah shifted her weight from her left foot to her right, "Yeah, we," She motioned to the people lingering behind her. "Decided that these prom decorations should not go to waste. We got it approved to decorate Nola's room." Hannah lifted a sheet that showcased a list given by the hospital of areas in the room they could not decorate, along with other rules she had to abide by. "I hope this is okay with you."

"Uhhh, yeah, I think Nola will like it when she wakes up," Parker stated.

Hannah smiled, glad that Parker thought her plan was good. "Great!"

Standing up, Parker shoved his hands in his front pocket. "Do y'all need any help?"

Shaking her head, Hannah knew they had plenty in numbers and everyone already had a job to do. "No, go get you some breakfast and fresh air. It should only take us about fifteen to twenty minutes."

Parker nodded, "Alright, I'll be back then."

As soon as he said that, the people around the door made a clear path for him to leave.

Giving an awkward smile, Parker began to make his way out of the room. Before he left, however, he stopped in front of Hannah and grabbed her sheet. "You got a pen?" He questioned, not looking up from the sheet as he reviewed what the hospital had instructed Hannah with do's and don'ts.