Chapter Five

The next few days were rough for Effie. Everything that was glass, she broke. Every time something broke, she saw the same girl standing not too far away. Effie didn't know who that girl was and why she was the only one able to see her. She must have been going crazy.

She decided not to mention the girl anymore to her parents. They were beginning to worry about her. Effie often found her mother crying alone in her room. She never asked her why she was crying, but Effie could make a pretty good guess on why she was. Her father would walk around aimlessly murmuring to himself.

Effie mostly found herself becoming depressed from all the pain she was giving her parents.

On a good note, Effie was almost ready to give up her crutches for a boot. Dr. Cohouln told her that she was making a quicker recovery than he first assumed. In about two hours she will be able to go to the hospital and return the crutches.

She brushed her hair for the tenth time that day. Her mirror on her vanity broke this morning when she first woke up just by looking at it. Now, she has to brush her hair blindly and hope that she gets all the tiny hairs in place.

Effie felt a presence behind her and turned around to see her mother and father standing in the doorway. She smiled at them and they smiled back. Her father held out his hand and motioned for her to follow them.

"Why don't we visit Dr. Cohouln earlier?" he asked her.

Excited, Effie grabbed her crutches and expertly maneuvered herself over to where her parents were standing. They lead her out of the house and into the car. Close to an hour later, they arrived at the hospital.

Dr. Cohouln was waiting outside for them with a large smile on his face. He gently hugged Effie when her family and her reached him. They walked into the hospital and into a small meeting room. Effie was sat in the large comfy chair behind a brown desk. Dr. Cohouln and her parents sat across from her.

Effie waited patiently while the three adults talked before the attention was out back on her.

"Well, Effie," Dr. Cohouln started. He folded his hands in his lap and smiled at her. "You have surprised me and my staff here with how fast your recovery has been. Of course you'll have to wear this boot for a while longer, but soon you'll be walking perfectly in no time!" He stood up and walked over to a closet. Opening it, he brought out a single black boot.

Effie's excitement grew as she looked at the boot. She hated the crutches and now she didn't have to suffer with them any longer! She looked over at her parents and saw the same excited faces.

Dr. Cohouln walked over to her and bent down to slip the boot snugly over her casted leg.

Effie's eyebrows furrowed in confusion. "Will you not be taking the cast off?" Effie asked.

Dr. Cohouln gave her a soft smile and shook his head. "I'm sorry, dear, but I can't. Once your session with the boot is over is when I'll take off your cast." He gently tugged on the straps to make sure the boot was locked in place. He stood up and held out her hands. "Alright. Let's try walking now."

She grabbed his hands and slowly stood up. She moved each foot in front of the other. Thankfully, with her speedy recovery, she was able to pick up the pace now. She wasn't as slow with the walking as Dr. Cohouln originally thought she was going to be.

The door to the meeting room opened up and a young nurse came into the room.

"Hi, Effie," the nurse smiled at her. "My name is Trish and I'll be helping you today so Dr. Cohouln will be able to talk to your parents. Come on." She held the door open for Effie and closed it behind them when Effie was through the door.

Suddenly, Trish's pager buzzed.

"Oh! I'm sorry, dear. I'll be back soon. Stay here." She turned and hurriedly walked away.

Effie did as she was told and stayed in the spot she was standing in. She knew her parents were on the other side of the door no doubt talking about her. Her curiosity grew and she silently cracked the door open to better hear what they were saying.

"Dr. Cohouln," Effie's father started nervously. "We have a question for you."

"What is it?"

"Did Effie suffer any brain damage in the car wreck?"

She heard a draw being pulled and someone rummaging through a bunch of paper.

"No," Dr. Cohouln answered after a while. "It says here that she only suffered from the broken leg, minus the scratches and bruises she got. Why do you ask?"

"Well," her mother took a deep breath. "She's been saying that she sees a little girl whenever something breaks."

Effie held her breath as she waited for what Dr. Cohouln would say next, but it was a while before his voice came back again. Except this time, it sounded uncertain.

"Effie could be suffering from some kind of trauma that makes her see things-or people-she doesn't normally see." He paused again. "Except I can't explain why objects are breaking around her. How long has she been seeing the girl?"

"Ever since we left here," her father spoke up.

Effie could tell Dr. Cohouln was thinking. "Why don't we give her another week or so. If the little girl doesn't go away, come back here and we will decide what to do."

"What do you mean 'what to do'?" Effie's mother's voice quivered.

Dr. Cohouln sighed. "I mean, put her in a special house for special people, but that won't happen if she stops seeing the girl."

Hi everyone! Sorry for the story going slow at the moment. I just need to get everything together before we hit the big momma! LOL! Just bear with me for a little while longer. :D