Chapter Seven

Effie looked up once she felt the car come to a stop. They were home. What a relief. Effie got out of the car and walked inside the house. She walked to her room, closed the door, and sat on the chair by her window. She brought her good leg up to her chest and hugged it.

Today has been full of surprises; both good and bad. She was beyond happy that she was off crutches and in a boot, but that happiness didn't last long when she heard what Dr. Cohouln said to her parents.

Was she really becoming crazy? Was seeing a girl when no one else can really counted as crazy? Maybe so, but Effie didn't believe that that's where she belonged. She wasn't crazy. She was perfectly normal. It was all in her head from the trauma of the accident. She'll get better.

Hopefully.

"I wouldn't be so sure of that," a voice said behind her.

Effie jumped and turned around almost loosing her balance. She grabbed ahold of the back of the chair and regained her balance. Effie's mouth fell.

Sitting on her bed was the same redheaded girl she has been seeing for the past few weeks. She was in the same white dress has she always had and looked as dirty as before.

"Well, don't just stand there with your mouth open," the girl sassed. "Talk."

"W-who are you?" Effie stumbled. "W-why are you here?"

The girl jumped off Effie's bed and walked over to her while placing her hand out. "The name's Patricia. I've always been here. It's just now that you can see me."

Effie looked down at her hand and back up at the girl's-Patricia's-face. Patricia gave her a weird look before putting her hand back down.

"W-what do you mean you've always been here?" What's happening? I have to be hallucinating.

Patricia laughed. "Effie, I'm a ghost. I've always been here; watching you. But ever since you hit your head, you powers have finally surfaced-"

"P-p-powers?" I must still be asleep.

Patricia nodded impatiently. "Yes. They were always deep inside of you, but blocked by some source. Like I said, when you hit your head your powers broke through that force and now you can see the dead and break anything glass! How cool is that?"

Effie's mouth fell open again. Did I really have powers? she asked herself. Is this all real? No. No it's not. It's just like Dr. Cohouln said: it's all head trauma. She shook her head.

"No! It's not cool!" she screamed at Patricia.

Patricia didn't even bat an eye at Effie's outburst. She just let Effie go on her rampage.

"I don't believe you! Ghosts aren't real! Having magical powers aren't real!" She held up her hands and motioned the quotation symbols. "I don't believe anything you are saying to me right now! I have head trauma and that is the reason why I am seeing you right now!"

Patricia reached her hand out to stop the rampage. "I'm telling you the truth. I assumed you would act this way, but I was hoping you would be different."

"You're not telling the truth!" Effie stepped back. "You thought wrong! Now get out!"

"Effie, please, believe me-"

"No! Get out!" Effie squeezed her eyes shut and willed Patricia to go away, but when she opened them again Patricia was still standing in the same spot. "I told you to go!" She sunk down to her knees and hugged them. Tears threatened to fall out of her eyes, but she wouldn't dare let them fall.

"Alright," Patricia signed. "But I'm warning you; I will make your life a living nightmare if you do not start believing. I'm real and I do have power." Effie heard her pause before continuing. "Goodbye for now, Effie."

Effie waited a couple of minutes before looking up. To her amazement, Patricia was truly gone. When she was certain that Patricia stayed gone, she let out her tears. She cried for a good time before wiping them dry with the back of her hand and slowly standing up.

She looked out her mirrorless vanity and sighed. She must look like a mess. Her parents would realize that she had been crying, but of course she would be crying! Dr. Cohouln requested that she should be sent to a crazy nut house and her parents didn't even talk back to him. She was starting to hallucinate even more about the girl named Patricia and what she was saying about being a ghost and having powers. But the craziest of all was that Effie almost believed it.

It would help explain all the abnormal things that have been happening lately. Effie being able to break glass is not something every child was born to do.

Effie started to wonder if what Patricia was saying was true.