Practice

Alkaios's POV

I dumped my bag on my bed. Era had conveniently remembered to give us rooms.

I won't go into much detail, but my room was amazing. It was as black as the night sky, and flecked with paint to look like the galaxy. My bed was made of dark wood, and it had a black blanket spread across it.

After I finished unpacking, I stretched, and covered myself with weapons. A knife in the boot, my sword in my sheath, a string of daggers...

When I finally strolled out of my room, I met the others in the hallway.

"I feel like we're slacking," Said Hale. "We haven't practiced in forever." Which was an exaggeration, and based on the wicked grin on his face, he knew it.

"Should we go practice in the forest?" Asked Aiyla, acting innocent.

"I think we should." Mused Hale. I rolled my eyes. If they wanted to show off, well, who am I to stop them?

Era's POV

Pathetic fools. Showing off, goofing around... don't they realize that it doesn't matter in the long run?

I rolled my eyes, and waved my hand towards them. If they wanted to go play, play. They just better not lose sight of the real mission here.

Alkaios's POV

Era waved a hand, telling us that we could go and practice. For all of her sighing, I bet that she would come with us.

She did.

We made it to the Amphitheater, even though they suggested that we train in the forest. But I didn't want to disturb the nymphs.

We strolled there, assuming a leisurely pace. We were aware of the curious pack of kids trailing us, even though they thought they were being sneaky.

I sat down on one of the seats, content to watch Aiyla and Hale fight.

It was just as spectacular as it was the first time, but I knew that they were putting on a show for the spying kids. Muffled gasps were heard, and I could see the exchange of gold out of the corner of my eye.

I lay back on the cold stone, sighing. I shut my eyes, letting the sun soak into my skin, savoring the cool breeze as it caressed my face... or as much of it as it could touch, because I still had my hood up.

I sensed a presence next to me before he even said anything, and then I heard a snarky, "What, too lazy to fight?"

I opened one eye, and looked out from under my hood. It was Luke. I tensed.

"You don't look all that impressive." He continued, shoving his hands into his pockets, flicking his hair out of his face. The perfect picture of arrogance and pride.

I simply turned away from him, he wasn't worth my time, but I could feel rage boiling under my skin. I wanted to flay him alive, but unfortunately, that wasn't legal.

"Turning away from a fight, huh?" He said, casually sitting down on the bench next to me and placing his feet on the seat below him.

"I would hardly consider you a fight." I said coolly, impressed with myself. I was glad that my voice stayed level.

"Yeah? Well, Princess over there-" And that was it.

I lunged up from my seat, shoving him to the floor. He spat out sand, and grinned at me, a wild taunt dancing in his eyes.

"Come on, Alkaios. Let's fight." He drew his sword, and I snickered under my breath. He was using Riptide.

"I don't need a sword to defeat you, but if you insist..." I drew my own sword, and took up an offensive position. I could feel at least 50 eyes on me. Even Aiyla and Hale stopped fighting to watch. I didn't notice Era at all.

He lunged, but I quickly dodged and swiped low, my blade singing. I knew Riptide like the back of my hand, how far it could reach, how much it could take until it slipped from his palm.

I flipped my sword over, holding the hilt out to him, and smashed it into his temple. He dropped like a stone.

I stared down at him, my face uncaring and cold.

"Pathetic." I spat at his feet. I was upset that he got under my skin that quickly.

Soon, all of the campers that were supposedly hiding came out, one by one, and started clapping.

"Apollo campers, take him." I said, my voice gravelly. They exchanged confused glances, because they assumed that I didn't know about the specific jobs that campers had to do, but two people came forward and dragged him away.

"Where's Era?" Asked a timid girl. I turned my gaze towards her, and softened when I noticed that she was new. Not immortal.

"I don't know." I said, turning to face Hale and Aiyla. "Did you see where she went?" They both shook their heads, but a boy in the crowd pointed towards the forest.

"I saw her walk that way." I shrugged.

"We might as well follow her."

I was honestly curious at what she could be doing.

My arms and legs burned while we walked the tough path that the camper saw Era take. I really did need to practice more, then.

We finally happened upon a clearing, where we saw Era standing calmly in the middle. She appeared to be waiting for something.

"Freak," Muttered an Ares camper. "Why is she just standing there?" I bit back a retort. I didn't answer because I knew that Era was perfectly capable of hearing him, and if she wanted to punish him, it was her right, not mine.

I was just about to walk out to her, when I saw what she was waiting for. She laid out scraps of meat, and about 20 hellhounds, huge ones pounced out of the woods.

I scanned them frantically for Mrs. O'Leary, but these hellhounds were malicious. They were evil to their cores.

Era transformed into a whirlwind of steel and blood, her cloak whipping around her as she flung spell after spell towards them.

Coils of radiant light lashed them to the ground, and fiery spheres of plasma were disintegrating them, bit by bit. I winced. It looked painful.

Soon, all of them were either lashed or crippled, and Era dashed forward, a mere blur, and in seconds all of them were in pieces, her two twin swords dripping blood in her hands.

There was nothing of the girl that I knew in that clearing.

She then looked towards us, and my knees turned to jelly. Her eyes were on fire, shadows and golden flames. I saw more than one camper faint.

"You thought I wouldn't notice you?" She growled. "Did I give you permission to follow me? No!" I flinched. I knew we were going to get a lecture when we got back to the cabin.

At those words, most of the campers fled. I was glad that Luke wasn't here, because I wasn't sure that she would stop herself from killing him this time.

She panted, swinging her arms to loosen them.

"Calm down." Aiyla said, raising her arms peacefully. "You are out of control right now. Calm. Down."

Gradually, the light in her eyes dimmed, and she stalked towards us, then past us, gesturing that we should follow.

She was mad. Oh, she was mad.