We've Won

Alkaios's POV

"Annabeth and Jason, you take the front. Will, back. Use your bow. Protect me, I can't use my sword if I'm holding her." My breath came in short gasps, and my wings were aching.

We made it out of the office, and then we found a wave of monsters, five deep. I lashed out with my magic and obliterated almost all of them, leaving only a few stragglers alive.

Annabeth and Jason tore into them, Jason using his sword and Annabeth a new dagger. The path was clear in minutes.

We continued in this fashion until we reached the final wave, where two of Order's top soldiers were waiting. Giants.

I gently set Era down, and I saw her awaken slightly and mumble, "I'm not a damsel in distress. Let me walk by myself."

I said, "Shut up," as gently as I could, and the faced the giants.

I grabbed Era's swords instead of my own. I would take down the last of them using her weapons.

As soon as I picked them up, they flared, reacting to my touch.

I stared up at the monsters that towered above me, their disgusting grins and shiny skin.

"Fight me," I hissed. I jumped between them, jumping from one giant to another, climbing slowly towards their heads. If they were smart, they would have moved father apart, but giants aren't exactly known for their intelligence.

I finally reached the top of their heads, landing on their helmets. The amount of metal used for just their helmets could've created a small ship.

I latched my feet onto the decorative rim of the helmets, and swung down so that my head was right in front of his eye. "Surprise," I hissed, and jabbed the twin swords into both of his eyes.

He howled, green gunk spraying everywhere. I jumped down, falling face first to the ground, dragging the swords down his stomach, opening a wide gash. Just as I was about to hit the ground, I snapped open my wings.

They caught the wind, and soon I was soaring back upwards, an avenging angel.

I landed on the second giant, and I carved his noes off of his face. "This is for Olympus." I jumped to the side and carved off his ear. "This is for me." And then I flew down to his chest and hovered next to his heart. I tenderly started cutting open his chest as his clumsy hands tried to catch me.

"And this," I whispered, "Is for Era." I carved out his heart, and watched it plop, still beating, onto the ground.

I jumped down, my face splattered with blood, no emotion written anywhere. I ignored the awed looks on their faces.

"We won." I said, my voice broken. "We won."

Finally, I saw the realization sink into their faces. "We won!"

The little light that I had in my heart was stamped out. We had won... I looked at Era. But at what cost?

At Camp Halfblood

We just landed at Camp Halfblood when we were swarmed by everyone. "Move!" I screamed. "Get her to the infirmary!" We managed to keep her stable on the ride, but the liquid pouring out of her back wouldn't clot.

When I screamed, everyone shut up.

I managed to get her there, but after that, the Apollo campers shoved me out.

I stood outside of the cabin, panting.

Chiron wheeled up to me and in a gentle tone said, "She's going to be alright." I paced in front of the cabin like a panther trapped in a cage.

"Did you," he said, in a gentle tone, "Kill him?"

"Yes." I said, my voice bitter. "But was it worth it?"

"Absolutely," Chiron promised.

"I'm still not sure." I stalked away, my hands in my pockets.

Later

When Era finally walked out of the infirmary, her face was gaunt and there were hollow black spots under her eyes.

I pressed her against me and buried my face in her neck. "We're together. We're together." Just like what I said to Annabeth a million years ago.

Speak of the devil, I saw Annabeth standing off to the side, looking at me sadly and longingly. But she would get over it. Eventually.

I handed Era a glass of sparkling grape juice, just as the rest of the campers raised their glasses.

The sun set behind us, coloring the juice radiant pinks and oranges.

I clasped Era's hand and raises my glass to hers.

"To healing," I said, staring at her, willing her to get my meaning.

She looked at me, her golden eyes as bright as the sunset behind us. "To healing," she agreed, and clinked her glass against mine as everyone drank.

To healing.

Thank you for reading this story!