Following Fear

You all might hate me for this chapter, but I had to.
Percy took the jacket from her, and turned heel, walking away. He could feel Luke's satisfied smirk on his back as he walked away. If he wasn't numb, he'd be really angry right now, and probably would've started a fight.

But Annabeth had put him in a dark mood. Just verifying his thoughts that there wasn't anyone worth trusting out there. She'd seemed so... Caring. And then she'd expected him to spill his guts out to her but keep her own secrets in. Selfish humans.
At least there was one person he trusted. Paul's adopted son, and his step-brother. Nico.
Nico knew just how terrible Paul made Percy's life, because he did the same to Nico.
Percy ignored their eyes on his back until they were gone, then he backtracked to one of Annabeth's neighboring buildings, dashing up the stairs and pounding on a third floor door.

A very sleepy Nico opened the door, revealing an apartment very similar to Annabeth's in layout, but much different in decor. "Whaaaat Percy it's three in the morning," his younger step brother grumbled.
Percy knew he'd been asleep, from the way his skull shirt was wrinkled and his long hair sticking up at unnatural angles.
"I know. But I need to talk to you."
Nico groaned before turning to yell inside, "I'll be back in a minute Will!"
His boyfriend. The two were polar opposites though, sunshine and rainbows Will with death and gore Nico. So weird. Percy doubted he'd ever understand it, but the guy made Nico happy, so he was fine with it.
"Why is something wrong?" Concern was laced in Will's reply.
"Nah just Percy!"
Will mumbled something in reply that Percy couldn't catch as Nico shut the door to his apartment.
"What's up?" His hands were crammed in his pockets, looking up at Percy.
Not that he'd ever admit it or tell anyone, but Percy thought Nico was really cute like that. In a little brother way... He hoped.
"You know that Chase girl?" He had to refrain from using her first name. Nico didn't know his experience with her, and he hoped to keep it that way.
"Preppy blonde smart chick?" He asked, nonchalance written on his face.
"Yeah, her."
"What about her?"
"She found me at the pharmacy today. She thinks there's something wrong and she wants to know what it is..."
"Dude, no. You can't tell her." Nico shook his head, his left hand subconsciously flying to a dark bruise that marked his jaw. Clearly from Paul. "Not even Will knows. He just thinks I get in fights and bullied and stuff," he shrugged.
"I know Nico. I wasn't going to tell her. But she isn't the type to just give up that easily. I'm letting you know to be careful, because she's bad news."
"Well duh anyone affiliated with Luke Castellan in a positive way is bad news."
Percy rolled his eyes. "No shit Sherlock."

Nico gave him a glare. "I'm trying to help. But I have more bad news for you. On top of preppy girl."
Percy raised his eyebrows, silently urging Nico to go on.
Nico bit his lip. Something he only did when he was nervous, and when Nico was nervous he almost never said anything. Percy had to calm him down, so he immediately withdrew the previously purchased cigarettes from his pocket that thankfully Annabeth hadn't found, and lit one for himself and one for Nico.
Nodding his thanks, Nico put the drug to his lips.

Three or four cigarettes later the boys were sitting on the stair railing laughing. They'd been talking about how Paul was a teacher, and imagining him walking drunk into class.
"If he got mad though, he'd probably just sit there and say fuck you all," Nico laughed.
Percy shook his head, "Nah, try fuck the world."
Nico nodded. "True that."
Percy sighed. "It would be the first reasonable thing to come out of his mouth since he married Mom."
"Nah, when she's around he's a plenty reasonable suck up." Nico argued.
Percy sighed again and nodded in agreement. "Yeah he is."
Nico looked down at the cigarette in his hands. "I wonder who we would be if he'd never waltzed into our lives."
Percy and Nico both were quiet in thought. Percy remembering sixth grade prankster him. Funny, friendly, and likable.
Nico was probably the cute little kid everyone loved. Percy could see that beneath the pale skin, dark clothes and bruises. Hell, he even saw Nico as that now, with all the added effects Paul had on them.
"We'd probably be normal." Percy finally answered.
"But we also never would've met." More silence.
"Would you trade that?" Percy asked. He knew he wouldn't trade Paul to lose Nico. But who knew.
This silence lasted even longer and was painfully silent. For Percy that is. Nico was looking out at the street, spinning the cigarette between his fingers.
"I don't know." He said quietly. "It's not personal... But you didn't grow up with him for seven years."
Percy had forgotten that. Nico was adopted at ten. Percy had only endured this for three years, and the abuse hadn't started for a year and a half after the marriage for him. He had no idea with Nico.
"I don't blame you. I'm just glad knowing someone else sees Paul for the a** he is.."

Nico nodded again, hopping off the railing. Percy could see goosebumps on his arms. Poor kid hadn't brought out a jacket.
Percy instinctively shrugged his off and draped it around Nico. That's what brothers did...right? But why did he keep questioning the validity of his actions if it was?
"Listen Percy," Nico said, not mentioning the jacket as he pulled the slaves together. "The thing I wanted to tell you earlier..."
Good thing he'd had some cigarettes, the kid was clinging to the jacket for dear life.
"Paul got a new lake-house... And he wants a weekend with us up there... Without Sally. And she agreed to it."
"When?" His voice was a whisper.
Nico pursed his lips. "Saturday."
And it was Tuesday.