Reasons Why We Lie

When Percy woke up, around one, Annabeth was gone. He rolled over, staring out the window that overlooked campus. It really was a nice college.
Percy should've gone to class, but he really wasn't feeling like pretending to listen to some droning lecture. He swung his legs off the bed and rested his elbows on his knees. He lazily snagged his phone off the nightstand, clicking it on. He had text messages from... Annabeth?

Hey, it's Annabeth.
I hijacked your phone for your number.

But after my class, which ends at four, we need to talk.
Really bad.
I'll meet you at your place at five.
See you :) -Annabeth.
She even used good grammar and no abbreviations in text. What a goodie goodie.

He replied back with a lazy question mark. Why did they need to talk? Did something happen?
He nervously ran a finger over the ridges that were cuts in his arm. Then he looked down. His sleeves were up. He hadn't put them up...
His eyes widened in realization. Annabeth had.

She knew. He cursed himself, pacing his room. He could always not show up at six, just leave. But he knew he wouldn't. Because some part of him really cared for Annabeth. And he didn't have a clue why.
Eventually he sat back down on the bed. What was he going to tell her? People didn't just self harm because it was fun! Something was always wrong. But he couldn't tell her what. He'd be betraying Nico if he did. He'd told him he wouldn't.
Then again, Nico had kept something massive from him. Nico had kept the reason for his dam arms from him! For weeks!
Percy sighed. He had to choose between Nico and Annabeth. And he already knew he'd choose her over him. Because she hadn't betrayed him. And Percy, no matter how nice he might've been inside, was hurt and wanted revenge.
Five o clock came all too soon. The knocking signaled Annabeth's arrival, and Percy had spent all day thinking up a story, but came up empty. He hadn't the slightest idea what to say. And he knew Annabeth wasn't someone who would allow him to dodge the question.
He slowly opened the door, looking at her sheepishly. "Hey..."
She sighed. "Percy..."
He winced. She definitely knew. Her tone was too gentle to be a good thing, and he wasn't exactly her confidante, so odds are it wasn't a personal thing.
"Does Luke know?" He asked suddenly. Maybe he could derail her from the real reason she was here?
She shrugged, "I don't care what Luke knows. It's my life and I'm going to live it my way."
He nodded. "Fair enough."
"Now no more distractions." She declared, stepping in and shutting the door. Awe darn, nowhere to run to!
She jabbed a finger at his wrists. "Are you okay?"
He nodded a little too quickly. "I'm fantastic, why what's up?"
She eyed him. "Don't play the confused game with me, I'm not stupid Percy."
He looked down at his sweatshirt sleeves. "I'm fantastic, really."
"Then if everything is fine and good, please explain why you would cut yourself?" She inquired tauntingly.
And there was the big question. "Because life sucks." He replied vaguely, shifting his weight over to the other foot. He seriously needed to learn how to act casual under stress. Would be a nice thing to know right about now!
"But why does life suck for you?" She asked exhaustedly, grabbing his hands. "You pushed everyone away, there would've been people here for you Percy!"
He had to look away from her stormy eyes. "I know I did. It's to help and protect them. In fact, you should probably go..."
If Paul found anyone Percy loved other than Nico he would most definitely frighten or... Force them away. That's what Paul did. Like it was his life goal to ruin Percy's life!!
"I'm not going anywhere until you tell me why."
Percy pursed his lips. So much for an easy ending.
Next tactic? The truth. "Because of my stepdad, okay?"
He was blushing once more. He'd just told maybe his biggest secret to some girl he kinda sorta maybe had a crush on.
"What about your stepdad?" She asked tentatively.
Instead of really answering, Percy slowly tugged his hands away from their interlocked position with Annabeth's, and pulled away his sweatshirt to reveal bruises along his back and dotting his chest.
"Oh my gods Percy..." Annabeth wasn't really sure what God or gods she believed in yet, so why disrespect any of them? That's why she pluralized the word.
He was self conscious, and about to put his sweatshirt back on when he felt her fingers spidering over his back, pressing against the bruises. They weren't that bad, were they? He was still walking and only a little sore...
For now. The thought reminded him that in just two short days he'd be alone with Paul for the weekend. There wouldn't be any breaks up there. No suck up moments towards his mom. It would most likely be all drunk Paul. The worst kind. Drunk Paul issued the hardest beatings.
"You have to get help!"
He shook his head immediately. "He made my mom happy. Please don't."
He could practically hear her thinking, and finally she spoke a small "Fine."
He breathed a sigh of relief, as suddenly her hands snaked around his neck. Percy turned, and their lips were connected once more. This time he wasn't surprised, and found himself kissing back, his lips clingy with need. He conveyed his fear through passion, soon enough their mouths open and a full on make out scene in session.
As Annabeth pulled away, breathing hard, Percy smirked. "If that was a movie scene..." He whistled. "Dam that would've been hot!"

She laughed and rolled her eyes. "You're so full of yourself."
He shrugged and looked down at his hands again. "Why do you like me?"
She shrugged in turn. "I don't know, why do you like to question me?"
He smiled weakly. "Good answer." His heart was pounding. He'd just made out with his crush, and they weren't even dating?!
But she did make the first move...
Either way, Percy was in shock.

A/N: Cuuuuuuteness. But anyway... I don't know I just like writing in bold and author's notes make it purposeful... Well, see you in the comments and my next update!