Second Piece: Birthdays

Once something starts going downhill, it will keep descending

I was born in the country of Aftokrator, to a noble family. This family had already suffered many a loss and wasn't willing to let another go.

"Happy birthday, Dhiesar!" Shirou congratulated. I clapped my hands together, happy about turning six years old.

"You're still younger than me," Enedra pointed out and I huffed, hitting him on the head. "Ow! What the heck?!"

"I'm always gonna be younger than you, dumbie!" I shouted and he shouted in protest before chasing me around. Khie was about to step in when the doorbell rang. Enedra and I paused in our movements, seeing both of my parents stand up.

"What's wrong?" Trip asked them, but Daihar smiled.

"We forgot that we were going to a meeting today - that must be someone to pick us up," he explained.

"But you're never here for Dhisa's birthday!" Virus' brows furrowed. "Stay for one!"

"Nu-uh," Hyuse shook his head. "Khie and Daihar were here for Dhisa's birthday last time and the time before that! I remember!" He turned to me. "Right?"

"Uh-huh," I nodded my head but it hurt a bit inside.

If only I had persisted, none of this would have happened.

We weren't prepared for any of this to happen.

"Ishamet, take Virus and Trip downstairs and show them around the lab. Enedra, Hyuse, you go to the Healing Water Mills and stay there," Khie commanded. "Shirou, play with your sister." The two boys nodded, and Ishamet dragged Virus and Trip along with him and I ran up to Shirou. The two horned boys seemed to pout before nodding and running out of the room.

"Let's play tag! Let's play tag!" I exclaimed giddily. I got to play with him again!

"Okay, okay," Shirou turned to his parents and they shared a look before Shirou crouched down as they left the room. "Hey, I left a present for you in your room. Why don't you go and get it?"

"Oh, okay!" I grinned widely before hearing the sound of something slamming against the ground. "Shirou what was that?"

"It's nothing, probably Enedra and Hyuse destroying something again," Shirou patted my head with an almost sad smile on his face. "Hurry along now or I won't play with you."

"Ahhhh!" I turned around and ran up the stairs of the mansion, to the second to top floor where my room was. I opened the door, making sure to close it behind me and saw a small rectangular box on my bedside table. I jogged over to it, getting on my toes to reach it before taking the box in my hands. "It's so small..."

I moved to open it when the door slammed open. I turned around and saw Shirou. His eyes softened and he smiled slightly, an almost relieved expression on his face as I walked up to him.

"Shirou--"

"End of the line!"

Shirou scowled, turning around and seeing soldiers just behind him. "GET DOWN, DHIESAR!" He demanded.

It was the worst day of my life, after all. It ruined my future and view of the past.

He lunged and I almost ran away, afraid he would crush me. His expression.

Fear.

Pure fear filling his eyes.

I was frozen, not able to move. Shirou tackled me to the ground, hugging me close with one arm, the other supporting him. His body shook as bullets hit his back, legs, feet...