Fifth Piece: Friendships

Then it'll slowly incline.

When I had completely recovered after a record time of one month (besides my ankle which, as Harlequin told me, was a permanent problem) my parents came to the cabin and took me home. When I got back, I was smothered in a hug by Ishamet, or Isamu. He was crying, happy that I had returned.

As life returned to how it was, I began to wonder.

"Mommy?" I looked up at Khie who hummed. "Do you know Harlequin?" She paused, looking down at me from her novel.

"Yes, I know him. I've known him for a while, in fact." My eyes brightened.

"Is he from Aftokrator too?" I asked eagerly but she shook her head.

"He's from Britannia, like Meliodas and Ban." I blinked.

"Uncle Meliodas and Uncle Ban were from Britannia?" I thought for a moment. "What's Britannia?"

"Britannia is an ally Country," she explained. "My mother, Aleni, was from Britannia and Meliodas, Ban and I were born there. I met Harlequin and a few of his other friends before my parents, brothers and I had to go back to Aftokrator."

"Oooooohhh," I whispered before pulling up a stool and climbing onto it. "He told me that I was, just like him," I quoted. "What does that mean?"

"He means you're a Virtue," Khie began. I frowned, confused. "In the Britannia, there are two main military forces - the Sins and the Virtues. They aren't the normal Beings you're used to - they're given something called an Ability." That's what Shirou's Voice told me I had, I blinked. "Harlequin is the Grizzly Bear's Sin of Sloth, Meliodas was the Dragon's Sin of Wrath, and Ban was the Fox's Sin of Greed."

I was excited. "So what Virtue am I?"

"Well, let me get to that," she chuckled. "I'm the Behemoth's Sin of Hate. Another version of the Dragon's Sin of Wrath, in a way, but less intense. Your father, Daihar, call him Daichi now, is the Hound's Virtue of Loyalty. Isamu is the Human's Act of Curiosity. You," she poked me in the center of my chest, "are the Angel's Virtue of Hope."

"Hope?" I questioned. "But I don't have any of that." Khie sighed.

"Don't say that..." She rubbed my hair, messing up and tangling my brown locks. I knew, though, that I had no faith or hope. At night, I would cry myself to sleep, muttering that there was nothing left to live for.

After my mother let the school know I was gone due to a car accident, I resumed my regular life, with ankle supports in my shoe. Maybe that day would be one of the best days of my life, not that I realized at the time, maybe it could have been the third to worst.

As I walked to school, my phone buzzed and I took it out. A text from Yuichi.

Meet you in the yard for lunch?

I thought for a moment, recalling that I would have to speak with my homeroom teacher. I was about to type in my answer when I bumped into someone. There was a squeak and a murmur of apology. I quickly put my phone away and I saw a girl with tanned skin and black hair. "Are you okay?" I asked her, offering her a hand.

"Uh-huh!" She smiled, and took my hand. "I'm okay," she replied as I helped her up.

"Good," I blinked at her, before pulling her across the street as the pedestrian light turned red. As our feet reached the other side, I turned to her. "Have I seen you before?" I asked, tilting my head.

She also tilted her head, blinking. "Do you go to the same school as me?"

"We're wearing the same uniforms," I frowned. "Ah!" I grabbed my head, whining. "Thinking is too hard!"