Chapter 1: Elsa

Papa runs his house like a ship in the marines. Everything goes according to schedule, everything is neat, and everything has been and always will be in order. He and Mama even use whistles to call my sister and I from our rooms, because our mansion was so large that it was impossible for us to hear our names if called.

Our estate is large. It starts with a very tall iron gate, which is meant to keep people out... Or my sister, Anna, and I in. I'm not very sure yet. 

Anyways, our house is smack dab in the middle. It has four stories, not including the attic and the basement, and loads of rooms that we don't really need. Empty rooms comes with being wealthy, I suppose.

Behind the house is the gardens, full of green bushes, lush trees, and exotic flowers. Anna and I each have our own corner there, mine is filled with mint, white roses, blueberries, and blue hydrangeas, which are said to be the most beautiful blue flower in the world.

After that, our estate ends at the mountains. It's definitely a lot of space, but I always feel like a caged animal here.

But I'm a good girl. Papa and Mama expect me to run the industry Papa created when he retired from the marines, so I will get good grades and keep our money in the family.

I do not always want to do this. My real dream is to be an Olympic figure skater. I know it sounds dumb, but Mama lets me take lessons, and that's what I want to do.

I wish I was at the rink instead of here in my room, reading poetry, but here I am. 

WILD GEESE
Elinor Chipp

I heard the wild geese flying
   In the dead of the night,
With beat of wings and crying
   I heard the wild geese flying.

And dreams in my heart sighing
   Followed their northward flight
I heard the wild geese flying
   In the dead of night,

I turn the page when I hear a knock on the door. Without waiting for me to answer, Anna walks in, swinging her arms. Her purple plaid skirt, jacket, white blouse, black tie, knee socks, and Mary Janes are perfect, which is odd. Anna is usually coming home with skinned elbows and dirt on her outfit. 

"I didn't say you could come in," I say.

"I told myself. Oh, Elsa, guess what?" Anna gushes.

"What?"

"Mama is on the phone with Ms. Frost again."

Ms. Frost is one of Mama's very best friends. She always comes to our parties in the latest fashion, and begs my father to let Anna and I stay up. She simply adores us. Anna and I think that she has always wanted more children, but she only has one son and daughter.

After her husband's death, Ms. Frost couldn't bring herself to marry anyone else. She and her son and daughter, Jack and Emma Frost, live on an estate similar to ours.

I have never met Jack. Mama doesn't like him. She says that after his father died, he went crazy. He gets into trouble and is exactly the sort of person Papa says should be locked away.

"You were spying on their conversation, Anna." I say, "That's rude."

"Oh, I only listened in a little. Ms. Frost was crying, I think. I'm not sure about what. Mama told her she would talk to Papa about something." Anna plops down next to me, tugging on the sleeve of my blue jacket.

"Did something bad happen, do you think?" I ask. Anna shrugs.

"I'm not sure. Maybe we-"

She is interrupted by two short blasts on the whistle, which is Papa calling her. After a pause, I hear my signal as well, a long blast and then a short one.

Anna and I jump up, smooth our skirts and hair, and then run down the stairs to Papa, who is waiting down in the parlor with Mama.

He has a tight expression on his face, and looked solemn. Papa had green eyes, strawberry blond hair, and a narrow face. His suit and tie is clean and newly starched.

Mama had dark brown hair and blue eyes, like me. Her expression is always calm, soft, and pleasant. Mama likes to wear an indigo skirt and jacket with a small pearl brooch. Her shoes are wide, flat, and sensible. 

"As I'm sure you know-" Mama begins, "-I have been on the phone with Ms. Frost."

Anna stiffened.

"Yes, Anna, I heard you outside the door." Mama says.

"I expect that your further behavior with be better than that," Papa adds, "Eavesdropping is rude and will not be tolerated."

"Yes, Papa." Anna gives me a sideways glance.

"As your mother was saying, Ms. Frost has asked a favor of our family." Papa says, frowning. Mama, sensing a lecture about to come on, continues for him.

"Her son, Jack, is going to be staying at the estate with us for a while."

It went very quiet.

"A... Boy." Anna said. "We're never allowed to have boys in the house, especially this kind."

Mama gives Anna a look. It must have taken her a lot of time to convince Papa, and she doesn't want it ruined by Anna's big mouth.

"He isn't happy." Mama says, "And he tries to make himself fake happiness with... Other things. Hopefully staying here will help him with that."

"If he makes one mistake, he's going back." Papa growls. "He's coming here tomorrow afternoon. If he tried anything on either of you, or if you find out that he's doing something illegal, you are to tell me so I can send him away."

"Yes, Papa." Anna and I say together. 

I don't want Jack here. He's a bad influence on everyone. What if he tries to hit on Anna? Or me?  He will only be a distraction from my studies. And if I'm seen with him...

"Elsa?" Mama says my name quietly. 

"Which room does he have?" I ask. Mama winces, and I prepare for the worst.

"It's next to yours." Papa says. "You're a light sleeper, so I figured if he tried to sneak out at night or something of that sort, you'll hear it and come get us."

I bite my lip. 

Jack is ruining everything. He isn't here yet, but already he's making a mess of things. If it's this bad already, who knows what it will be like when he actually gets here! It's going to be so annoying, living with him, and his room is right next to mine! He'll be blaring his music and making a mess...

Oh, I wish he would just not exist.