Chapter 12: Jack

"You're supposed to what?" Hiccup demands. He drums his fingers on the steering wheel.

"Elsa's supposed to teach me," I groan, "Those girls have been homeschooled their whole lives."

Emma taps my shoulder from the back seat. "Are they nice?"

"Well," I grin, "They're spoiled, rude, snotty, and wimpy. And, you know, good."

"I think that it's nice to be good." Emma says reproachfully.

"I know, and I would prefer if you stay that way," I laugh, even though I'm dead serious. "Don't be like me or anything, kay? I like your police records the way I like toilet seats... Clean."

"What about your police record?"

"Well, mine is different." I tell her, and Hiccup smirks.

"Your big bro has a record with the fuzz about a mile long!" He laughs.

Emma giggles and squirms in her seat. I reach back and tickle her a little, grinning as she squeals. I love how her big brown eyes turn up at the corners when she laughs.

"So," Hiccup says, "How you been doing over there lately?"

"Eh, every hour or so I want to die, and the rest of the time I still want to die. It's gonna get worse, too, because Elsa and I are starting 'lessons-'" I do air quotes, "-this Monday."

"What's Elsa like?" Emma pipes up. "Is she pretty?"

"What?"

"Is she pretty?"

I don't know. If I had just seen her in the streets without a reason to hate her, what would I think of Elsa?

"I guess some people might think so," I say uncomfortably.

"But do you  think so?"

"God, Emma, I don't really know." I say with a shrug. "I just know I don't like her."

"What about her sister?" Emma demands. I swear, I will never meet another child who asks more questions then she does...

"Anna?" I ask disbelievingly, and Hiccup laughs so hard he snorts. "I've barely even seen her!"

"How is that possible?"

"She runs away from me because she's scared." I say smugly.

Emma bursts into peals of laughter, shaking in her booster seat.

"What?" Hiccup and I ask at the same time.

"You're not scary!" Emma wipes tears from her eyes, "You're not scary at all! Well, you scare the mean kids at school, but other than them... How can anyone be scared of you?"

"I guess they just are."

"Pfffft, if they got to know you, they would see you're only a big puppy!"

"That's it," I say jokingly, "You're walking home."

"Yep, see ya later, kid." Hiccup grins.

Emma laughs and kicks the back of my seat. Hiccup winces as her light-up sneakers leave footprints on the back of the seat, but doesn't say anything. He loves Emma almost as much as I do.

Emma's laugh turns into a cough. 

"Emma?" I ask.

She holds up a finger, still coughing. Hiccup looks at her anxiously with the rear-view mirror.

"Kid?" He says.

"I... " Emma coughs again feebly. "I'm okay now."

"Did that just tire you out?" I ask, frowning.

"Yeah, a little." She shrugs. "It's okay, I can take a nappy when we get home. Are we almost there, Hiccup?"

"Uh-huh." Hiccup gives me a worried look. "We're almost home, kiddo."

Almost home.

________________________________________________________

FROSTY CHEESE AND CRACKERS!

I can barely believe how many comments and votes are popping up in my notifications. I swear to you, I never dreamed  this many people would actually like my stories. You, my amazing, special, beautiful, fabulous, individual reader, you, are making my dream come true.

On that happy note, I would also like to apologize for making these last two chapters so short. I know it sucks, but I'm at my Grandma's house, and her wi-fi is awful. Plus, my chromebook is almost dead. :/

Luvies!

Jack_Frost's_Girlfriend_13