Chapter 18: Jack

Another question! Wheeeeeee!!

@lovelovelove844: Did you get the soft orange from the hunger games? I mean that is peetas favorite color.

You know, I have thought about that. I think that orange would be Jack's fave color because everyone thinks he likes blue. I also thought that because Elsa's favorite color is blue, and orange is across it from the color wheel, they would fit together nicely.

I didn't intend to make it sound like the Hunger Games. That story and all it's happenings are property of Suzanne Collins. 

________________________________________________________________

"So," I ask, "Do you think you'd ever want to go back to the Snugly Duckling?"

Elsa looks thoughtful. "Maybe, though I'll probably avoid drinking again."

"Aw, that was only your first time!" I complain, "How are you going to like it if you judge everything by a bad first experience?"

Elsa laughs a tinkling little laugh. "I technically wasn't supposed to experience it until five years from now, Jack."

"Oh, who cares about that?"  I ask, rolling my eyes. Elsa laughs again.

"Every other sane person on this planet!"

"Then let's be crazy."

"Shut up!" She doesn't say it harshly , the way she would have a few days ago. This time she's teasing me.

"I don't know if I can, sweetheart." I smirk. Elsa elbows me playfully in the ribs.

I can't believe this. I'm supposed to hate her. I'm supposed to be up in my room, listening to music, not down here, hanging out with a goody-goody. Everything is backwards. All of my friends would be laughing at me right now, and me from a few days ago would be, too.

So why is this happening? 

"You just got all thoughtful," Elsa says, "I didn't know you were capable of that. What are you thinking about?"

"Us," I say, "I can't believe that I used to hate you."

"Same. I-"

"ELSA!"

Anna comes marching through the garden, her face twisted into a scowl. She looks very angry. I don't even think that she notices me at first.

Elsa seems to deflate. Maybe they're in a fight or something.

"What is it, Anna?" Elsa asks warily.

"What is  it with you lately? You've been avoiding me, you haven't stopped by my room, we've barely even spoken! Now, I come out here to find you, and I see you with him?" 

"Anna-"

"No! Why are we drifting apart! You're my best friend, and I hardly ever see you anymore! Is it because of Jack?" Anna whirls, facing me. "What are you doing with her? Are you trying to pressure her into something she doesn't want?"

"What? No!" I say, "You-"

"Enough, Anna!" Elsa says.

"No! Why are you shutting me out? What did I do wrong?"

"Enough."

"I must have messed up pretty badly for you to shut me out and hang out with him  instead!"

"I SAID ENOUGH!" Elsa shouts, standing up.

I have never heard Elsa yell before. She has a lot of power in her voice.

Anna looks horrified, her lower lip wobbling. "You're a monster." She whispers, and turns on her heel, running away, back towards the house. 

My mind can barely process what's happening. "I hope that wasn't my fault." I say. "Was it?"

"No," Elsa is breathing heavily. "She thinks that if I don't let her in on every aspect of my life, I'm neglecting her or something."

"Dang."

"I know. Younger siblings can be such a bother. Do you ever have trouble with Emma?" Elsa asks, sitting back down.

"Emma?" I ask, surprised, "Not to make you feel bad or anything... But I don't have trouble with her at all. She's amazing."

"Wait till puberty hits her," Elsa snickers.

"Heck, no!" I say, "I can't even imagine her getting that old! She's staying eight years old forever."

"Oh, really?" She asks, "How do you plan to make that happen?"

"I don't really have a plan, that's just how it'll be."

"And why is that?"

"Because I said so," I laugh, "She's going to stay little forever and I can die happy that way."

Honestly, I really can't imagine my little sister growing up. All I see when I look at her is little Emma, spelling bee champ, blue ribbon winner at the science fair, holding her pet rabbit, Judy, and often sickly. 

I frown, wondering how she's doing. Last time I talked to her on the phone, she had freaking pneumonia again. That isn't good. Has she been to the doctor lately, and have they put her on antibiotics again?

"Jack?"

"Hmm?"

"What's wrong?"

I hesitate. "Nothing, I guess. I'm just a little worried for Emma. She keeps getting sick." 

"That isn't nothing," Elsa frowns. "In fact, it's kind of a big deal."

"I know."

"I bet she'll pull through."

"Yeah, she's tough." I say. It's true. When dad died, she was the one who kept her chin up. If she did it then, she sure can do it now. I trust in that. "Hey, next time Hiccup and I go to pick her up from school, do you wanna come?"

"Sure. I would love to meet your sister."

"You know, when I first told her about you, all she wanted to know was if I thought you were pretty."

"Do you?"

"Do I what?"

"Do you think I'm pretty?" Elsa asks. 

My face goes red. "I can't say."

"Why?"

"Because I don't want to be all gross."

"So you do  think I'm pretty," Elsa laughs. I laugh, too, not denying it.

The sun reflects off her eyes, which shine brightly. The wind blows lightly, sending the smell of flowers through the air, making Elsa's hair blow gently. Her lips are curved into a smile.

The only word that can describe that is pretty.

For a split second, our faces are very close together. I can feel her breath, which smells like peppermint. My mind goes blank.

Then we both jump back, blushing awkwardly. What even was that?

"Ah, I'm sorry-" Elsa says.

"I must've tripped-"

"This is awkward. Not that you're awkward, it's just we- I'm awkward. You're gorgeous. Wait, what?" Elsa looks horrified.

I laugh so hard that I nearly fall off the bench.