Chapter 16: Jack

I smooth out the drawing, carefully holding it under the table so Hiccup can't see. He doesn't seem to notice; he's still staring at Astrid.

Elsa stares at the sketch.

I don't know why, but I suddenly felt the urge to show it to her. Maybe it's because Hans hit on her and she probably was a little shook up.

"Here you guys go," Punzie says, passing us our drinks. 

She gives Elsa a glass of water, but also hands her a blue can.

"Um, I-"

"Don't worry, hon." Punzie smiles, her blond hair falling around her shoulders in blonde waves. "It's on the house."

"But-"

"It's just guava juice with a tiny bit of spirits in it," She assures her, "You'd have to drink twenty of them to actually get drunk, and anyways, you can barely taste anything than the guava."

Elsa looks at the can warily.

Then she looks at me, worried.

"And," Punzie continues, "The good thing about not having so much liquor in it is that you can-"

"-Keep 'em coming!" I finish, laughing.

Hiccup takes a swig of straight vodka, downing the whole shot. I've never understood how anyone can like that stuff. It doesn't taste good at all, makes your tongue feel thick and fuzzy, and burns.

"Hey, don't drink too much," I say warningly. "You have to drive us home."

"Can't you drive?" Elsa asks.

"Well, I have a license, and I can, but I don't really like to." I say uncomfortably.

"Oh." Elsa takes a sip of water and looks at the blue can. Setting down her cup, her fingers inch towards it until she's holding it in her hand.

She stares at it.

Slowly, she opens it and looks through the opening. Elsa smells it.

"It smells  good." She whispers.

"Try some," I say, "Just a little."

"Doesn't everyone tell you not  to give in to peer pressure?" Elsa asks seriously. I think about that.

"Yep."

"And?"

"We think you should try some anyways," says Hiccup.

Elsa brings the can to her lips.

Then sets it down again.

"I can't."

"Hey, girlfriend, I can't help but notice this little war you're having with yourself." Astrid says, sitting next to her. Hiccup drops his shot glass and dives to retrieve it.

"War?" Elsa echoes.

"Just try a sip. I'm telling you, a little bit won't hurt."

Elsa stares at the can once more.

"Oh, to heck with it all." She mutters, and grabs the can. Elsa tips her head back and drinks half of it in one gulp.

"How was it?" I ask, grinning.

Elsa sits on the stool, stunned. "That was... Bubbly, surprisingly. It was fuzzy. My throat feels fuzzy."

Hiccup and I laugh.

"I'll go ahead and assume that was your first drink," laughed Astrid. "And, um, you're Hiccup, right?"

"Uh, this is him." Hiccup says stupidly. Elsa and I snicker.