Chapter 9: Elsa

"So,"

Jack looks at the phone in my hand, and then back at my face.

I am absolutely livid. After a few more songs at the rink, I had put my uniform back on and left, stopping only once to pick up a phone I found by the door to put it in the lost-and-found.

Until I recognized the case and the death metal logo on it.

Now I stand in my garden, outraged. Jack Frost has been following me.

"You were stalking me." I say, my voice laced with venom.

"No, I wasn't!"

"You followed me without me knowing, even stayed and watched  for who knows how long! That's called stalking!"

"That's not even my phone." Jack snaps. "I don't know what you're talking about."

"It isn't your phone?" I ask.

"No."

"Then I suppose I'll just have to give it to Papa. He'll find someone to hack it so we can find it's owner," I grin.

There! I have him caught in my trap! Jack looks like I've just slapped him in the face. I suppose he isn't used to being outsmarted. He's used to winning at everything he does.

I smirk and turn around, pretending to head for the house. One, two, three... Now.

"Wait." Jack holds out his hand. "Give me my phone."

"I knew it."

"Congratulations." He snaps. "Now give it back."

"First," I ask, "Why did you follow me? Were you thinking of trying to kidnap me or something?"

"No!" Jack cries, looking insulted. "I'm not a monster."

"I beg to differ."

"C'mon, sweetheart, just give me my phone." He rolls his eyes, still holding out his hand. "It isn't that hard."

"Fine!" I say, triumphant. "Here's your precious phone, but I'm  going to be telling Papa that you followed me, and then it's off to juvie for you!"

Jack looks at the phone in his hand for moment. His fingers slowly close around it.

"You won't be here to bother me anymore!" I chirp, clapping my hands.

Jack lifts his head.

"That's what you think." He grins. Jack unlocks his phone and scrolls through a few pictures, then hits play on one of the videos.

I hear my recital music start to play. 

Jack holds up his phone, and I see myself gliding across the ice.

"Better be careful, Elsie. We wouldn't want this getting into daddy's email or something." He says teasingly. 

"No. Delete it." I say, horrified.

"Maybe if you stay out of my way, I will." 

Jack doesn't understand. He doesn't understand the feeling I get when I'm skating, as if I'm flying with both feet still on the ground. It;s the only time when I don't feel like a caged bird, trapped in that house. Jack is threatening to take that away from me.

"Please, Jack, delete it." I beg, "If Papa finds out, I won't be able to-"

"Agnarr won't find out as long as you don't give me a hard time," Jack promises, slipping the phone into his pocket. "Now, I'm gonna go inside. You're gonna keep your mouth shut so you can keep skating."

He grins at me and turns away, walking through the garden and up to the front door. He winks at me and disappears inside.

Something inside me shatters. I feel numb. How am I supposed to live my life with Jack destroying it? I'll have to plan my steps carefully so he won't tell Papa about my skating. I should cry. I should be crying. But all I can do right now is hate.

But I don't even feel hate. I just feel numb.

Frozen.